51.

Dedicated to @mcbastard and Chapter 50 is dedicated @hjisjagsbjo188926 for voting/ adding The After Effect to their reading list. It means a lot, so thank you ♡  xx

~~~~****~~~~

I scrolled through the list of flights available; all of them being a bit expensive for the trip. At this point, I was only thinking about the numbers going down on my bank account.

"Hey," Harry called as he rubbed my back soothingly. "Don't stress too much, yeah? I'm sure everything's going to be okay."

I looked over my shoulder and smiled at his shadowed features, "I know, it's just-" my head shook as I struggled to find the words. Admittedly, it was humiliating to say, "I lost my job, Harry."

He sat up with a frown, pulling my hand so that my head rested against his chest, "When?"

I breathed him in, losing myself in his warm embrace, "Yesterday. The manager called me to tell me that if I didn't make it back on time, I'd be fired."

Harry didn't say anything for a while, just played with the ends of my hair, "It sucks 'cause it wasn't really your fault."

The thought that I had been pushing away, surfaced, making me groan against his chest.

"Listen, I'm not promising anything, but I'm sure Lance and I could use some help with the shop's paperwork."

I shot up, "No. I can't let you solve my problems for me."

He chuckled, pushing my lower back down to meet his, "Trust me, you'd be the one helping us out. I'm great with the writing, don't get me wrong, but it's too time consuming. I've got to tat clients and it leaves me with this shit load of work to do." He looked off in thought, "Lance has some problems of his own going on. We split the work, but we always come up short with time."

I thought about his offer. I didn't know where else I would go to find work all of a sudden. It had been hard as it was landing the job at the diner. Even Anne didn't have an easy time finding one.

But mixing personal affairs with work was something that didn't necessarily come off as the most smart thing to do. What if Harry and I don't work out? I'd be jobless again because there would be no way he'd want me around if that were to happen. I mean, who knows where Jane is at now?

At the same time, I couldn't let Anne handle all the bills on her own. I would have to take the risk, even if it meant that I'd end up at a total loss.

"Let me know what Lance says," I nodded. Harry smiled at me, leaning down to kiss me lightly.

"Of course."