Chapter One: How'd I Get Here Again?

***If you read my notes, I'm flattered! But if you don't care, just scroll down to the story, sweetheart. The next notes won't be this long, I swear!***

Author's Note: Hey y'all! I do hope you enjoy this book. All of these characters are my own, but I do credit @_fransfics_ and her heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, scream-inducing, utterly amazing Echotale fanfiction, "Thought So", for the inspiration of the prison idea. @_fransfics_ is a FANTASTIC writer and y'all should totally go check out their stories!

Please don't use my characters without permission. Also, bear with me because I am a very sporatic updater. But I will try! I love comments, so please comment and let me know what I could fix. Please follow my Spotify playlist: "Locked Doors: Soundtrack." It includes every song that I used as inspiration.

Top 5 Character Specific Songs That I Love:

~Karma:

-Shatter Me (feat. Lzzy Hale), Lindsey Stirling

-A Little Too Much, Shawn Mendes

-Wolf In Sheep's Clothing, Set It Off and William Beckett

-Still Breathing, Green Day

-Roundtable Rival, Lindsey Stirling

~Rebel:

-Mr. Brightside, The Killers

-Kyoto (feat. Sirah), Skrillex

-Teenagers, My Chemical Romance

-Dirty Little Secret, All-American Rejects

-Something's Gotta Give, All Time Low

Enjoy the book! ~Cookie

**Karma's POV**

My life before prison is sort of a blur. It feels like a Friday night college party, something that you've totally forgotten and don't really care to remember. What I do remember is painful. I remember gunshots as my mother was murdered before my eyes. I remember gunshots as I aimed the barrel of my gun squarely at my stepfather's forehead.

I've always been different. I was born into a chronically poor life situation in the southernmost city of the Republic of Hyron. In an attempt to find a better job, my parents moved us to Gerratin Falls in Marshall District A63 of the Fairn-Arrowt Districts, the country lying just south of Hyron.

Everyone has an element. From the frozen wasteland of Kintra Hentra to the rainforests of the Equatorian Federation, every brain outputs a specific element for each vary type of soul. Most people are told what their element is at birth. Doctors can easily test the blood and body for certain traits to prescribe a nullifier. However, due to the fact that I was born at my poverty-crushed home, there was no doctor to properly test my energy. Therefore, I have no clue what it is. I've learned to ignore it. My energy is fairly dormant, and could be dead for all I care.

What I did wasn't a petty crime and I didn't try too hard to cover it up. I knew they'd catch me eventually. However, they didn't try too hard. I was twenty-three when my parents died and able to take care of myself.

However, unable to hold a job without someone finding out I was running from the police, I decided, Well, fuck it. I'll get caught in the end anyway, does it matter?

I soon discovered that scraping by wasn't hard if you managed to mug or murder someone to pay for that day's food. I snuck through the city like a rat in the sewers, invisible and generally ignored, yet slowly taking all of the food supply.