"Oh, Jared. It may have started that way, I admit, but..." her voice takes on a light, lilting quality. "Darling, Kris and I have an understanding. You of all people should know that Kris has other...interests." A short silence. "I allowed you time to get past all of this, and to think about what damage you could do to yourself if you end it between us. I was certain you'd have come to your senses by now." Jared says nothing to this, and in a low steely voice, no longer lilting or playful, Katia says, "I'd hate to think you're telling the truth, Jared, that you truly no longer want to spend time with me. I'd hate for Papa to think it."

"You're threatening me?" Jared's voice has a note of amusement but I detect the edge, the venom beneath it. "Really, Katia, that's pathetic. Reduced to threats to keep a fake boyfriend. Doesn't speak too highly of you, does it?"

There's a bang against the wall behind me, and a clatter as whatever was thrown falls on the floor.  The thick Russian accent makes a sudden reappearance as she hisses, her voice trembling, "Damn you! You will not screw this up for me and humiliate me, Jared! Not if you know what's good for you! You cannot do this to me!"

Jared's voice is a lethal snarl. "Get out of here, Katia, and don't come back. Don't call, text, message me on any socials, and don't even think about coming near my house, my family, or my friends."

"You...you bastard! You'll regret this. I promise you that!"

"Believe me, I already do," Jared calls after her as Katia storms out of his room, not giving me so much as a passing glance as she flees down the hall toward the elevator bank.

I'm stunned by what I've overheard. Completely stunned. And while I don't have a full picture of what went on between Jared and Katia, I've now certainly gotten a better idea of their relationship, and it doesn't escape my notice that not once did Katia inquire or show the slightest concern about Jared's well-being or what he'd been through.

I wait a few minutes before stepping into his room. Jared's powered his bed down some, and his arm is thrown across his face, hiding his expression. I watch him for a few moments, wondering if I should say anything or if he'd prefer to be left alone.

I'm just about to turn and leave the room again when Jared moves his arm and sees me. Quickly he turns away, wiping at his face, but not before I see the tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," I begin, not totally sure what I mean by that.

"It's okay," he says, drawing a deep, shaking breath.. "I needed to get that over with." He beckons me to him. "Come here, Lanie."

I go to the chair next to his bed, but Jared stops me. "Not on the chair. Here." He points to the bit of space next to him, directly on the bed itself.

"Oh, I can't," I protest. "There's not room for me."

"Sure there is. Just come here and lay on your side by me."

"W-what?" I stammer.

"I mean, unless you don't want to," he shrugs. "I just...never mind." He looks away. "Goddamnit, I hate how I sound right now."

I stand beside his bed. "Like how?"

"Needy. I'm not like this. Or, I never used to be like this. Being vulnerable isn't something I'm used to. It really kind of sucks."

I carefully sit on the edge of the bed and study my careworn fingernails. "I tried to keep her from coming in here. But she said you'd called and invited her."

"Uh-huh. I did. As soon as she found out where I am she started in, first on me, then on Stevie, who's the only one that hadn't blocked her yet. She also tipped off the paparazzi, knowing it'll make everyone's life hell, not just mine. I knew she wouldn't stop unless I told her directly and face to face that I'm through playing her fucked up games, so I did."