Home

– Hey, mom?

– Hi, honey! How are you? – I heard my mom from the other side of the phone.

– I'm okay. I'm just calling to tell you I'm going to spend some days there. Do you mind? – I asked her.

– Of course not! When are you coming?

– I'll be there in a few hours. – I told her as I drove into the airport's parking lot.

– Already?! – she asked surprised.

–Yeah. – I answered.

– Okay, sweetheart. Call me when you land.

– I will. Love you.

– I love you too. – she said and hung up.

I left my car in the parking lot and walked towards the check-in area. I grabbed my passport and proceeded to buy a ticket to Washington DC.

I couldn't shake off the impression that I was being followed. I felt eyes on me, and it was driving me crazy. I quickly shoved the ticket into my bag and walked through security as fast as I could.

I got inside the airplane and sat down on my seat before checking my phone. 12 missed calls from Tom.

I sighed and turned off my phone, zoning off to sleep after the airplane took off.

***

I rang the bell to my old house where my parents lived and saw the front door open almost immediately. My mom stepped outside in a rush.

– Avery, sweetie! – she hugged me.

– Hey. – I inhaled her scent which I missed so much. It had been nearly a year since I had last visited her.

– You okay? I was worried when I received your call. Did something happen? Did James hurt you again? – she kept asking questions non-stop.

– No, mom. I'm fine. – I sighed.

– I know you. Something's off. – she insisted. She let me go and took a look at me. She frowned. – What's that red mark on your cheek? Did someone hit you?! – she almost yelled.

– Calm down. – I grabbed her hands. All of a sudden I felt like I was being watched once again. I looked around at the street but saw nothing. I thought I was being paranoid. – I'll tell you everything. Let's just go inside. – I told her in a rush and she nodded.

We stepped into the house and walked to the living room where I sat on the couch.

– I'll just make you some tea and grab cookies. You must be hungry. – she said and I nodded before she disappeared into the kitchen.

I grabbed the remote and turned the TV on while I waited for her to come back.

She walked back into the living room, handed me the cup of tea and put a plate with cookies on the coffee table.

– Thanks.

– No problem. – she smiled.

– Where's Alan? – I asked.

– He had to go on a trip for work. But he'll be back by tomorrow. Now tell me everything. – she sat down next to me.

– You remember Tom, right? – I felt a lump on my throat just by mentioning him.

– The guy you told me you were dating, yes. – she nodded.

– Well, some days ago after we arrived from Vegas, a girl showed up at his door. She's kind of his ex-