My last night of freedom

The evening of Naomi's birthday party has brought back, even for only one day, some familiar and very dear faces into her life. As she encountered every one of them she kept reminding herself of how grateful she should be for all of them and such an idyllic life. But what she couldn't have foreseen was that her life was about to drastically change.

"Naomi, dear." Her mom hugged her. "Now that all the guests left, we can finally tell you about our little surprise." There was a dose of excitement in her voice as she kept looking at her father knowing that they only knew what the gift was, and Naomi was eager to find out even though she hasn't expected a gift from them.

"Mom, I'm twenty-five. You know that I don't care for presents anymore. You shouldn't have bought me anything..."

"What is it? I can take it if she doesn't want it!" Her fifteen-year-old sister Emma was ready to snatch a gift out of their hands if they were holding anything.

"Yeah, right! I didn't say I don't want it..."

"Well?" Her sister was intrigued. "What is it?"

"We can't give it to you." Her dad said to Naomi.

"What? Why?" Emma asked.

"We can't give it to her because it's not a material gift." Her mom clarified to Emma with a smile.

"Please don't tell me that you're giving her your love and good wishes for her birthday, because I will throw up!"

"Awe, I love you guys too." Naomi was about to hug them.

"Wait, wait..." Her mom interrupted her. "Hold the hugs. We haven't told you about our gift yet."

"Just give her some money, so we can go to sleep..." Emma yawned.

"We found you a job!" Her mom announced.

"I found you a job, to be precise." Her father stood proudly.

"Oh, Michael. You're constantly bragging. What about twelve hours of labor? That means nothing?!"

"I didn't say that, but..."

"Hey, hey, guys! Stop arguing. Did you just say you found me a job?!"

"Yes!" They responded at the same time.

"But I already have a job. Remember?"

"Yeah, waitresses make a lot of money..." Emma rolled her eyes.

"Who asked for your opinion?" Naomi teased her.

"We realize you already have a job, but this is a well-paid opportunity." Mom winked.

"For you and your future family." Her dad added.

"Yeah, you are going to get married eventually, right?"

"Emma!" Naomi warned her.

"It is a job in a fashion company called Arabelle. You will be a designer, as you've always wanted."

"Wow! My dream came true... I can't believe it!"

"Everyone's going to wear your clothes, sweetie."

"I love you, guys! But how did you manage to get me a job there? I've heard it's almost impossible."

"We know people. That is all you need to know." Her mother was secretive.

"Oh, now you're the one who's bragging, Vivian. You know that we were at a charity event last night..."

"Yes..." Naomi said.

"Well, we have met a man there who works at the company. He is very close to the CEO and mentioned that they are looking for a new fashion designer. After we suggested you for the job he asked to see your picture and immediately agreed that you should come to work for them."