He left the room after kissing my head. This was all great. But, even with all of the amazing perks, I didn’t know if I was happy.

            I began unpacking my things, putting my clothes in the closet and dresser, my laptop on the desk, and everything else where it was supposed to go.

            Then, I came across two pictures that broke my heart. One of them was of me and Missy on the soccer field, making cute faces at the camera. We’d just won our first game of the season, and she’d taken a picture to remember. Before the week was over, I’d had a copy in my hand.

            The second picture was of me and Kyle. We were in his room, surrounded by Twinkie wrappers. His mother had taken this one after I’d stayed the weekend for a DC movie marathon; no sleep, just movies, pee breaks and showers. I was in his Green Lantern t-shirt and a pair of boxers while he was in my Super Woman sweatshirt. It was the best weekend of my life. It wasn’t in the picture, but I knew that there were two empty pizza boxes and at least twenty empty soda cans. They were off to the side on top of dirty clothes. Something else wasn’t included in this picture: how happy I really was at that moment. I was almost asleep on Kyle’s shoulder and he was tying my hair into little knots, but I can promise anyone that I was the happiest girl in the world right then in there.

            “Are you okay, Auden?”

            I wiped away the tears that had fallen from my eyes. I hadn’t even realized I’d been crying, but this picture struck a nerve. Adam was standing in the doorway with a plate in one hand, soda in the other. I sniffled and nodded.

            “Is this your boyfriend?” he asked, coming over to my side and sitting. He put the plate and soda down, placing his hand on my shoulder. I shook my head. “Best friend?”

            I nodded.

            “He looks nice. Will he be visiting anytime soon?” I shrugged. He took the picture, and the one of me and Missy, from my grasp, standing. He walked over to the dresser and I thought that he was about to throw the pictures away before he picked up two of the three picture frames. “These are for any of your memories. It was my idea.”

            I smiled, sniffling again.

            “I want you to know that you are not alone, Auden. I know that we’ve just met, but I also know about what happened with your mother and her . . . customer. I want you to know that even though you might feel really alone right now, you have four people who will always be here to listen to you.”

            When I gave him a questioning look, he said, “Those four people are me, our father, my mother, and whoever the boy in the picture is. I know you might not consider this your home for a while, but we all just want you to know that you are cared about.” His face broke out into a smile. “On the other hand, you’ve now got this amazing new brother. If you didn’t know, that’s me right here.”

            I laughed silently, wiping away the rest of my tears. I stood and hugged Adam. He may not be Kyle, or Missy, but he was definitely a friend.

*    *    * 

Shelbie was an intense woman. She seemed to be constantly worried about something, whether it was the chicken in the oven or the next door neighbor’s son. Things in the house were crazy, but in a way, relaxing.

            Shelbie’s appearance did not match her personality at all. She was gorgeous, with striking blue eyes and bright blonde hair, opposite her son. Her skin was evenly tanned, and she was thin and small. At first glance, you’d never guess that she was in her late thirties and constantly anxious. 

            I first met Shelbie when she was worriedly looking for Cameo, who was in my room, constantly licking my face. When she opened my door, she dropped her cell phone to the floor from shock, and then scrambled to retrieve it and hug me.

            “Sweetie, oh it is so great to meet you! I’m Shelbie, your father’s wife. I hope your flight was okay! Sorry about Cameo—uh oh, do I smell burning chicken?—he likes to attack people with love.” I barely had time to keep up, she was talking so fast.

            I smiled, wanting to tell her to calm down.

            “Oh, I better check the chicken. We’re making you a big welcoming dinner—stop it Cameo!” she told the dog who was licking my knee. “I’ll call you down when everything is done—oh, I wonder if Jimmy’s arm is okay!”

            Shelbie left the room, smiling as she went. I figured that the interrupting herself as she talked was a normal self, so I didn’t bother questioning it. Cameo followed her out, his tongue hanging from his mouth.

            I laid my head on my pillow, staring at the ceiling. Everything here was so much different. Some people would hate it; others would be bawling their eyes out. I, on the other hand, was enjoying being free from my mother’s constraints. If anything, I was ten times happier.

            Even if the images of George putting his hands on me were constantly on my mind, I knew that it was over. I was better. Who knows? Maybe I’ll make a few new friends at the school I’m going to attend. Maybe I’ll get a boyfriend, receive constant piano lessons; anything I could have gotten at my mother’s house, but didn’t.

*    *    * 

It wasn’t long until Shelbie called me down to dinner. The house smelled absolutely amazing: chicken, potatoes, and spice. I wondered if she bought spray that smelled like exactly what she was making to fulfill her impact.

            I walked into the dining room where my father was sitting with a napkin tucked into his shirt and he was holding a fork and knife ready to eat. Shelbie carried in his steaming plate, and he inhaled deeply. Unlike my father, Adam was carrying his own plate, plus the chicken. He sat what he was holding down then hurried back to the kitchen to help his mother with the other food.

            I walked into the kitchen, going to help, before being quickly ushered out by Shelbie.

            “No, no, sweetie, you go in the dining room. I’ll bring everything—oh, Adam, be careful—out in a minute,” she said. I nodded slowly, taking my time to the table.

            My father swallowed food quickly, trying to make it seem as though he wasn’t stuffing food down his throat. “Hey, Auden; sorry, Shelbie is a little stressed. She can be a little crazy sometimes.” I shrugged and smiled. “Don’t tell her that I ate before everyone was at the table. She wants formality, but I’m starving!”

            I laughed quietly, pouring a glass of lemonade for myself.

            When Shelbie and Adam finally sat down, we loaded our plates up with food and began to eat. It was the most delicious dinner I’ve ever had. There was chicken that broken to bits with my fork, mashed potatoes with thick brown gravy layered on top and delicious corn on the cob.

            “So, Auden, you like to play piano?” Adam asked, nudging my knee with his. I nodded. “That’s cool. You know, dad went all out and bought one of those grand pianos when he found out you were going to be living here. It’s in the foyer if you ever need to vent.”

            I smiled, grateful for the kind gesture.

            Shelbie cleared her throat, finally looking relaxed, “The boss wanted to talk to me today. He said that I’ve been working so hard that I deserve a raise.”

            “That’s great honey!” my father said between bites of food. The conversation was surrounded by cliché movie topics, and soon I zoned out.

            I may not be able to respond to these people, but they were my family now, and I think I was beginning to like them.