Chapter Two

-I go back to December all the time-

"Hey," My Mother said, placing a hand on my back as a reassuring gesture. "How many times do I have to tell you that everything with be alright before you stop panicking every five minutes?" She continued with a nervous smile.

I gave her a weak sigh in return as there truly wasn't anything she could say to calm my nerves except
"Actually, let's go home."
but I knew that that wasn't going to happen.

The receptionist came back through the door a few minutes later, closely followed by a man in his early twenties. He had dark brown hair and blue eyes with light, speckled acne covering his nose and cheeks.

He was wearing an emerald green, bobbled jumper with a cheesy Christmas quote on it and a cartoon Santa, blue jeans and trainers that were more mud than material.

By a simple glance, you could easily tell that the jumper was one which had been worn a lot, indicated by how bobbled and aged it looked.

At first I wondered why anyone would voluntarily spend their Christmas looking after kids instead of spending it with friends and family, but when you dress like that, there is no doubt that you obviously don't have any friends or correlating social life.

Unless it's completely ironic or as a dare, no one with any form of a decent life wears a hideous Christmas jumper on the first of December. Period.

The man seemed to be a complete nerd as he walked with an instruction manual to the old computer that the receptionist had, easily as old as from the late 90's.

The computer was easily ten inches thick and seemed to had been pulled out from an old movie, the back was covered in dust and there seemed to be hindered of different coloured wires poking out from the back.

He gave my Mother a smirk and I immediately cringed, internally hoping he wasn't trying to flirt with someone almost double his age, who's teenage son was stood next to them.

"Hmmm let me see here... erm... well... ehh?" He stuttered nervously, hurriedly flicking through the pages of the instruction manual.

A few of the pages were stuck together with old coffee stains and the entire book had faded from what would have been a crisp white colour to a now pale yellow.

"Well George? Can you fix it or not? You're meant to be the computer guy 'round here." The receptionist said to him in an impatient tone followed by a loud huff of annoyance . It was clear that she hadn't expected him to be of use in the first place.

"I-I don't think so Barbara. Erm- could I print it off in t-the staff room on that computer?" He said, so nervous that I thought he might explode on the spot.

He began itching at the back of his own hands, grazing his nails over his skin and causing white marks. I knew that, from first hand experience, it was an anxiety habit.

His already red cheeks seemed to flush an even more prominent blush and I began to wonder if this man was secretly me from the future; I sure hoped not.

"Urgh I guess so, we don't have much choice do we now?" Barbara said with obviously annoyance in her tone. She rose her hand to dismiss him from the room and her thin bracelets jangled as she did so.

George walked away from the receptionist's desk and back into the staff room, clutching the instruction manual close to his chest and shuffling his feet across the carpeted floor.

"Honestly, I have no clue why they hired him, he just sits and plays on his phone all day. I haven't seen him actually fix anything in the two years he has been working here." Barbara said to my Mother with a soft chuckle at the end.