I nod, not exactly getting the point. "She's very proud of you both."

"Yeah. I've done okay; more than okay, but you know, with that success comes a pretty heavy price, sometimes in things people don't really think about. One is a situation like this. One minute some nurse I've never spoken to or seen before is helping me sit on the shitter. And the next, the color, consistency and smell is tabloid news."

While I can't possibly put myself in Jared's place, his expression says it all and I don't have to. I find myself empathizing, even though I cannot imagine how something so ordinary, so part of the natural human condition as needing assistance going to the bathroom, becomes something so problematic that he has to give it such careful consideration.

Once he's back in his bed, Jared turns to me and says, "So listen. That couldn't have been very pleasant for you. I know it wasn't for me."

Well, no, it wasn't, but it needed to be done. I shrug. "Like I said the other day, it's a perfectly normal bodily function. When you gotta go, you gotta go."

Jared manages a smile. "God, I like that so much about you, Lanie. You're so matter-of-fact about everything. Nothing really fazes you. Nothing about me, especially."

Oh God. If he only knew how much everything about him fazes me. "Should it?" I question.

Jared shrugs. "When you came into my room a bit ago and the way you were staring at me, you had a kind of freaked-out look, the look I see in a lot of people, but I've never seen that look in you until now. But I get it. That damn wall in my mom's house with all the pictures. It was a lot for you to take in at once, I guess."

I close my eyes. No, that freaked-out look was guilt, until I realized Constance wasn't even talking about me at all, but about Katia Valkov. "Yeah, it is a lot to take in," I manage.

"Yeah, well, there's something else I want to talk to you about, too."

"What is it?" I ask, opening my eyes again.

"Well, I know you're a little overwhelmed, what with being here in L.A., realizing that yeah, I'm pretty famous and all that, and you're feeling a little lost and out of your element here."

Understatement of the century. I nod. "Yeah. I am. All of that and more." I gaze out the window at the California sunshine. "I—I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. Until Todd is dealt with, I have to keep both Shelby and me under the radar, but I'm not someone who can just sit around."

"I know that," Jared answers. "No more than I am. I also know that for the next several weeks, maybe even months, I'm going to be doing a lot of sitting around, and I'll be a total asshole to people as a result. I'll drive every single member of my staff insane. I wouldn't be surprised if they all quit on me." He pauses and then says, "I want to offer you a job, Lanie."

"A...job?" I blink. "Doing what?"

"Being my constant companion. Helping me get back on my own two legs as soon as possible. At times acting as a buffer between me and other people. Kicking my ass and adjusting my attitude when I need it. A sort of home care nurse, physical therapist, and personal assistant all rolled into one. But most of all, being a good friend." He smiles. "You'll be well compensated beyond just having a safe and secure place for you and Shelby to sleep at night."

"Jared," I say, reaching out and rubbing his arm, "letting us stay in your house is more than enough compensation. I don't want to take your money. Besides, a good friend isn't a friend at all if there's ulterior motives or financial benefit attached."

Jared laughs softly. "Yeah. I knew you'd say that." Then his smile fades. "But in this town, relationships of all kinds, even the most personal ones, are built around those very principles, in one way or another." He blinks several time and sighs. "Okay, you're right. We'll scratch the friend part. But I'm not letting you be at my beck and call night and day and put up with all of my bullshit without being well reimbursed for your time and trouble. You need the money and trust me, Lanie, you'll earn every penny of it. So...do you accept?"