Chapter 15

"Welcome home Mr William!" Nora greeted my father from other side of the room were we were talking.

   I gave him a warm smile acknowledging his presence and made a subtle wave with my arm by greeting him from far away.

"Looks like I am late for a party! Sooo... Let me see you..." Dad stepped in front of Bryce who was standing near doorsteps and took a hold on both of his upper arms inspecting his being from head to toe. "They have made you just exactly as I made you to be. Amazing job from CyRo's indeed!" My father backed of a one step to take a look at his whole frame and gently stroking his own chin in thought at the same time. "What's your name?"

"My name is SCS-6, but everybody can call me Bryce" he stated to my father looking down at him from his height.

"Bryce? Who is Bryce, honey!" Dad looked at me over other people heads with little curious glint in his grayish blue eyes.

In response I answered him with questioning smile and shrugged my shoulders. He probably is thinking who I named him after.

"Welcome to our family, Bryce!" dad lets out rumbling lough. Before coming towards me he faces my bodyguard: "By the way, I am Kyra's father, your 'father' - boss." And he strongly pets Bryce on it's shoulder. "Why is everyone just standing here? Nora? Could you bring some drinks and food? We need to celebrate the new family member's homecoming."

   I can see his mood is up in the sky, laughing and joking around. Nora have already taken some of other maids with her to bring us some appetizers. Do we really need a party for Bryce, he probably doesn't even care. I thought after introducing him I could go back to my room and rest. But now ... My father approaches me with one hand lifted towards me. He weaves it around my shoulders and gives a tight squeeze.

"Hm? How are you, Kyra? Tell me, how do you like Bryce?"

"I am little bit tired, that's all. About him..." I visibly glance in my androids direction "he is a little weird in my opinion. He freaks me out. Well, just couple of hours have passed since I got him, but he have made me feel so uneasy many times already today." I inform my dad in hushed voice, not wanting Bryce to hear our conversation and question me later about my behavior and making myself nervous again.

"Be patient, Kyra! You will get used to him, just give yourself and him some time."

    I turn my sight to the left an see Nora coming from kitchen area with some plates of food and two other maids carrying glasses and couple of bottles of nonalcoholic drinks. She passes me and the warm smokey smell hits my nose.

"Nora, that smells delicious! What is it?" I am suddenly swooped away from my dad's embrace by a new smell. She puts the tray on one of the coffee tables with drinks on other one.

"They are just some simple bacon cheesy appetizers with some herbs, nothing special, really." Nora gave me a shy smile.

I took one of them to have a taste:

"Ohm non nom, it is really good! Dad, have a taste!"

I take and give another piece of delicious food to him while stuffing my own cheeks with some more. Everybody have gathered around the table taking and stuffing their stomachs with this precious food. I know some of them often don't get a chance to eat organic food, they don't live here all the time, and with their income they can hardly afford it. Sometimes my dad likes to treat them with some real things. Today is one of those days. I look at Bryce who is standing all alone now. He looks kind of lonely haven't moved an inch since he came downstairs. I take my courage and walk to him while holding some pieces of food on my palm. I see him watching my every move, making me question my decision to be in his close presence again. Pushing that thought away, I lift my hand with treats towards him. When he looks at my hand I finally realize what I am doing.

"Oh, sorry! What am I doing? Silly me!" a shy smile appears on my slightly rosy cheeks, realizing my mistake. "You ... You don't eat, right?"

"No, I don't."

"Can you at least smell it?" What silly questions!

"No, that too. I can detect only smells or odors that are harmful or dangerous."

"Kira, don't give him food! He is going to get sick!" I heard my father mocking me.

    I mentally rolled my ayes at his comment. I looked at Bryce and remembered what I wanted to talk with my father. "I will have to leave you alone for a moment, OK?"

"No problem."

I walk back to my dad and pull him slightly on his elbow, trying to get him away to some quieter place.

"Dad? Could we talk for a minute?"

"Sure, what it is about, honey?"

Leading through small arc away from living room on the opposite side from entrance, we entered the kitchen.

"It is about Bryce. I wanted to ask you this as soon as you came home, but you managed to distract me with this party. What did you do to him, dad? He is acting weird, he doesn't have any face expression except this blank one and the most annoying thing is his constant starring. The starring ... it freaks me out. What kind of machine you made when you were doing his set up?"

He was silent for a moment. I was waiting in anticipation of what he has to say.

"I did what I did and I am not regretting any choice I made 'making' him. My personal advice for you is, spend some time and make an effort to get to know him. He is supposed to be and act like a human being. And I think you will have to get to know him in the same way as with some other ordinary person. Tell him about yourself too, let him know what you expect from him, how you want him to behave around other people or you. He cannot figure it out himself. There was no option to equip him with mind reading. Just take your time, OK, sweetie?"

He turned around and left me standing alone in confusion.

"Dad? Dad? Are you really  gonna leave me just like that? Really? I ... I thought you would ..." I didn't finish my sentence as I saw him slipping away - for him not to hear my subtle protests.

Before he disappeared behind the corner I noticed Bryce studying my frustrated reaction from the far end of the living room.