Chapter 4 - Flashback

Song: A Horse with No Name - America, A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

**************

A loud beep sounds in the kitchen as Roni is bringing up a bin of clean pint glasses to the front bar. Sometimes she catches herself thinking that it's too early for drinking, but these early birds keep her in business. She puts the bin on the back counter and turns to see Victoria Belfrey, looking like a fish out of water. She is scanning the seating and interior design like it's some ghastly painting she cannot comprehend. She never comes by Roni's, and needless to say the two avoid each other whenever possible.

"Slow day?" Victoria sighs trying to make conversation.

Roni can't help her tone, "It's 9:30..."

Victoria laughs at herself embarrassingly, "Right... for some reason I thought..."

Roni cuts her off before she can go on, "Victoria, did you just come here to insult me, or is there a reason for your visit?"

She fights the words as they leave her mouth. "I need your help..."

Roni raises her eyebrows. It's one thing for Victoria to ask for help but from her? "Wow... uh... okay... what's going on?"

"Is this how people usually talk to you? Divulging all their problems?"

"Yes, because believe it or not my word means something to them... and as much as it pains me to say it, you have mine."

"You swear not to repeat our conversation?"

"Barkeep's honor."

Victoria decides it's safe to sit at the bar, "Right... well you know the girl I took in?"

"The one with amnesia?"

"Yes, well, her name is Anya and... I think she could benefit from having a job."

Roni grins, this has to be a joke. "That's why you're here?"

Victoria frowns, "Yes."

"Because this Anya needs a job?"

Victoria sighs, for her this is not a joke, "I know how it sounds and with how I've treated you in the past... but please I wouldn't be here unless I thought you could really help her..."

Roni picks up on Victoria's distress... maybe this wasn't a joke; maybe it was all quite real, "How would a job help her?"

"Ivy and I work all day and she's left for the most part alone with the exception of tutors and therapists who come on occasion-"

"Geez... I didn't know she had amnesia that bad..."

"She knew nothing when I met her. Essentially she's been relearning everything up to high school level in the span of a six months, which is great and she loves to learn... but she needs to be around people."

"So you think being around a bunch of drunk people is going to help?"

"That's not what I mean... she... she's tried to runaway. I don't know if it's a game to her or if because we live in a high rise..." Victoria stops herself.