Chapter Six: The Climb

Start from the beginning

Next thing I know, I see red plastic inches from my face, signifying its the top. I let out a sigh of relief as I finally got a chance to catch my breath. The cool plastic provides great relief to my sore hands, and I relish in it for a moment. 

I look down at Tord, who is in the same place as I left him. He is halfway between the door and the rope staring up at me. His red eye is wide with surprise with his mouth curled into the slightest smirk. He seems satisfied.

I can't tell how high up I am, but I can tell it would hurt if I dropped from here. I scoot halfway down the rope before finally releasing. The impact of the force as I land sends a shock through my body, causing me to stumble a bit. Either way, I still stick the landing and stay on my feet.

That's a first.

There's a very awkward moment of silence as Tord and I make eye contact from across the room. The silence is suddenly broken by two very sudden and loud sets of clapping. I look behind Tord to see Paul and Patryck step into the training room clapping in the doorway. Tord turns to them and is grinning by the time he looks at me again.

"Tonight, we should celebrate! Both Toms recovery and our new members!" Tord exclaims, stretching his arms out it a triumphant movement. He walks over, placing his good arm over my shoulder, making me hunch down ever so slightly since he's a couple inches shorter.

"Who's my brave soldier?" Tord asks, grinning widely. We walk out the door together as Paul and Patryck step to the side, allowing us to pass with Patryck holding the door open. 

We continue like that all the way to our rooms.

Just me and Red Leader.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tord's POV:

I left Tom off at his room and disappeared to my own. Shutting the door behind me, I collapse into the rolling chair by my desk. I use my real hand to rub my temples and lean back in my chair, focusing on the pattern on the ceiling.

Tom is obedient. My plan worked.

What's the issue?

I am Red Leader. My army is the biggest in the world. None can compare. Then why am I so frustrated?

Tom still has some resistance in him, that much I can tell. I haven't been with Matt as much since his awakening, but I feel like it was much easier with him.

I hope having the both of them here tonight won't be an issue. It may be risky, but with the given circumstances, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

I rub my hands over my tired face as if I could wipe away the drowsiness. I can't tell if it's because I'm tired or if I just am that familiar with it, but somehow I forgot about my robot arm. The metallic parts snagged on the fabric of my eye patch, causing my fake arm to be practically stuck to my face. I have gotten used to the arm over time, but it still makes simple things difficult. 

I sigh in frustration as I use my free hand to attempt to take off my eye patch. With it in front of me, I am able to see where it got caught and untangle it from my arm. I throw the fabric onto the mahogany desk in front of me. It's so easy to try to forget about what happened and deny that it actually did.

Maybe I won't go tonight, and I'll just leave my henchman in charge... 

I won't be able to sleep anyways so I might as well go.

I slide off the military coat, leaving me with just my red hoodie, and instantly feel less burdened with weight. Reaching into the sleeveless side of the hoodie, I carefully unhook the harness of the robot arm and slide it off, revealing the very little that is left of my shoulder. I carefully place my arm on the desk and stagger to the bathroom, and lean on the sink counter for support.

I can't let anyone see me like this. I'm a mess. 

I look up to see my mess of a face in the mirror. There are small bags under my good eye with violent scars marking all around the other one. The whites of my bad eye are tinted a light pink with the color of my actual eye being a clear silver almost. People always said it seemed like my eyes became colorless when I was angry, but after the accident... I lost most of my vision in my right eye, and it became a permanent silver color. The harsh red scars make the red in my good eye seem somehow redder. 

I cup water with my left hand and lather it all over my face.

I grin at my unusually messy state.

I'm not dead yet.

My army might have almost complete control over the world, but the war isn't over yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom's POV: 

After I was dropped off at my room by Tord, I took my second shower of the day. I have to be at Tords "get together" or whatever he's calling it by 6. Having a couple hours to kill, I took my time in the shower, letting the hot water flow over my sore muscles. I step out of the shower onto the cold, slippery, tiled floor and try my best not to fall with my clumsy self. I wipe off the fogged up mirror and examine my face. My cheeks are slightly pink, and my wet hair is sticking to my face as well as my visor. I put on the new set of clothes I left for myself earlier. Of course, it is just a variation of the same outfit I have been wearing. I style my hair up in the spikes it naturally forms that just feel right. I shrug and step back into the bedroom. 

Five o'clock. One hour until I have to be there. Would Tord be mad if I didn't attend whatever event he is planning? Then again, he is my leader... I guess.

I don't know what to expect. About anything. How did I get caught up in all this? 

It all feels so stereo-typically unreal. Not gonna lie, I'm half tempted to pinch myself as a reality check. But I know that's not necessary.

This is real.

Needing to sit down, I slump onto my bed. It takes me a few minutes to realize, but looking down, I notice the bed has been made. Not only that, but any and all signs of the clothes I left on the ground earlier in my lazy state are gone. Does some poor person have to clean up after my slob of a person? I feel my cheeks get warm as embarrassment arises from inside me. If my face hadn't been pink before, it is now. I stand up and begin to pace, getting lost in thought. After a while, I eventually looked up and noticed the time. 5:58. I feel my heart jump as I have a moment of panic. I can't tell if it's because I have to socialize or if I'm going to be late.

Either way, I have a feeling this is a bad idea. 

***********************************************************************************************