CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - The Beginning of The End

Start from the beginning

As she had predicted, Emily had woken up early and jumped on her. Timber woke up, rolled, and fell out of bed. She landed on her side but sprang up immediately to all fours.

"It's the first day of school!" sang Emily excitedly.

Timber Turned and just blinked when Emily darted out to wake up her parents. Timber was left standing in the middle of the room feeling baffled and oddly wide awake considering she only got four hours of sleep. She closed her bedroom door and flipped on the light. She wiggled out of her pajamas and slowly pulled on her jeans and her favorite new yellow t-shirt that had a teal pineapple on the front. She brushed her hair and put it back into a short ponytail that looked like a squirrel's tail. Timber sighed and let it down again. She found a matching pair of socks and slipped them onto her feet before grabbing her backpack and walking downstairs.

It was still so early the sun wasn't going to be up for another half an hour, but Emily was fully dressed in a turquoise t-shirt and a pink tutu skirt with white tights and pink sneakers. Grace was in foam rollers and her silk robe and pulling Emily's hair into pigtails and snapping in her favorite pink bows. Chad was in the kitchen toasting frozen waffles for breakfast and brewing a pot of strong coffee. He was still in a sleep shirt and shorts. The television was playing 'Little House on the Prairie" to keep Emily still.

"Good mornin', Timber, Honey," yawned Grace. She attempted to smile but she was too tired to focus on anything but Emily's hair.

"Good morning," said Timber. "Emily, why do we all have to be up so early?"

"I don't want to be late!" replied Emily as Grace finished her hair. She got up and hugged her mother.

"Em, we don't have to leave for another two hours," Timber pointed out. "What are we supposed to do until then?"

"We'll have breakfast for starters," said Chad, coming out of the kitchen with a plate full of blueberry waffles and a cup of extra strong coffee for his wife. "Here you go, My Love," he added, handing Grace her cup.

"Thank you, Darlin'," said Grace, gratefully taking the turquoise mug and sipping it.

The family gathered around the table and helped themselves to breakfast. It was a mostly quiet affair as Emily was the only one awake enough to be excited. Timber was wide awake but nerves were getting to her. She resumed her true form to preserve energy and ate slowly. When she had finished eating, she grabbed her plastic plate between her teeth and jumped onto the counter to drop it into the sink. She jumped down and went to join Emily on the couch to watch what was now 'Thomas and Friends with the living room light off so they could watch the walls change color with the rising sun.

Chad and Grace disappeared upstairs. Timber perked her ears up and listened to the sound of wild rabbits rummaging around the yard. She closed her eyes and rested her head on Emily's lap. She dozed off to sleep with her cousin scratching behind her ears. When she woke up, Grace and Chad were ready to go.

"Alright you two, stand in front of the door," said Grace with her camera in her hands. "Timber, resume your human form, please."

Timber complied and Turned. She and Emily stood in front of the front door together and Grace told them to smile. She snapped a photo of the girls together, then she took one of each one separately. She looked thrilled.

"You two are so cute!" she said with a wide smile. She looked at the gold watch on her wrist. "Alright. It's time to go. I'll see you after school, Timber, Dear. I love you." She hugged Timber and kissed her cheek while Chad said goodbye to Emily.

Timber followed Chad out the front door. The sun had risen and was resting on the top of the Mendocino Coastal Range. The crisp morning air was sweet with the aroma of lush floral gardens. The birds were singing happily and they flew around looking for their breakfast. It was the most beautiful morning Timber could remember. She focused her nose on the individual flowers they passed to distract herself from her nerves. The worry on her face must have been obvious because she and her uncle made it half a block when Chad stopped. Suddenly concerned, Timber stopped too, and looked up at him. He was grinning at her.