CHAPTER TWO - Heritage and Pride

Timber was finally beginning to adjust to her new life with her aunt and uncle. There was something comforting about having a steady and predictable routine every day. She liked knowing what time every morning the sound of Emily's little feet would hit the carpeted floor to play catch with her before breakfast. Timber knew what time she would walk out of the front door for the school bus across the street, and what time she would be home. She knew when her uncle would leave for work and what time his car would pull into its spot in front of the living room window. Timber had an unchanged routine for the first two weeks in her new home and she found that it was essential to her comfort.

Chad had been kind enough to attach one of her rope toys to the bottom of the kitchen bar so Timber could have something to pull on when she got up for her nightly romp in the living room. He also attached a thick wooden scratching post to the bar next to the rope so Timber could keep her claws under control since she couldn't retract them and they were longer than normal wolf claws. Timber was grateful for his thoughtfulness because having toys to play with made up for her unusual confinement. Her parents had always allowed her to play outside at night as long as she stayed inside the quarter-mile parameter Daniel had set and she didn't cross the river. Here, she was forced to remain indoors, with the exception of the small patch of dirt in the back, but Timber didn't mind the change so much since she was able to keep busy.

She was still unwilling to let anyone but Grace pick her up. However, she eventually allowed Chad and Emily to touch her and after a week, her fur stopped standing on end. Even with her progress, she would snap her teeth and growl if she was touched without being able to see who had approached her. She was territorial over her food and refused to let anyone near her plate until she walked away from it.

She was also difficult during her daily baths. Grace had several shallow scratches on her arms from wrestling Timber back into the tub after trying to rinse the shampoo out of the fur around her eyes. After a few days, Grace began using baby shampoo on Timber's head and face. Timber calmed down some. Then Grace discovered that Timber liked the shower head because it helped keep shampoo out of her eyes. Grace had no further problems bathing Timber.

Moreover, Timber was still unable to shift to human form, so the family had no idea what she looked like, or what size clothes to buy her. The biggest problem that Timber had unintentionally provided was grocery shopping. Grace needed to go to the store to restock the almost empty pantry but she couldn't leave Timber at home by herself for longer than a few minutes. Despite knowing Timber could defend herself if she had to, Grace also knew the law regarding children so Grace had to make a choice. Timber was small enough to fit in her largest beach tote if she lay in a ball, but she had not seen the outside of the apartment with the exception of the backyard since she moved in two weeks before.

"Timber, Honey. I have to go and get food at the grocery store, but I can't leave you here alone. You have to come with me."

Timber didn't want to leave. She wanted to stay inside where she knew she was safe. There could be hunters at the store. What if they were waiting to get her and kill her like they killed her parents? What if she was captured and caged again? She didn't want to go anywhere. She ran and hid under Emily's bed, shaking like a fuzzy maraca. Her mom and dad hunted meat and her mom gardened so there was no need for trips to the grocery store. She did not know what to expect and it frightened her so she snarled at her aunt.

"Timber, I don't have time for this." Grace's irritated face appeared under the bed. "Either you come quietly, or I will have to force you."

Timber stared at Grace for a moment and realized obedience would be the better option. The last time she challenged her aunt, she lost so she crawled out of hiding, but she was by no means silent. She growled in protest.