Chapter 2 - The Call-Up (Sally)

Start from the beginning

"Next time, don't use the same move twice," said Agent Black, leaning on the brick wall beside the door, when Sally left the Karate dojo half an hour later.

Sally looked at her with surprise. Sally's was an attractive face, though she somehow managed to keep a constant scowl that clearly made her not approachable for date-seekers. "Agent Black. Looking for something secret?"

"No, actually for you."

"I don't want to sound too negative, but I might not want to be found by you."

"We had a good operation together."

"We had a scary operation together."

"I had the good, and you the scary part. That sounds like a fair and square balance."

"Not from my perspective," Sally said.

"Can we go somewhere? I offer you peace, a soda, and whichever early dinner you'd like."

"You're paying?"

"The taxpayer cordially invites us."

"Desert Creek Cafe," Sally said simply and started unchaining her bicycle. "You're here with a car?"

Black nodded. "See you in five."

Sally looked at Black as she walked towards a brown nondescript Honda SUV and thought, "Now, that is an interesting visit."

The Desert Creek Cafe was neither in the desert, nor at the creek, nor did it really qualify as a cafe. It was a premiere and the oldest diner in Hawthorne, right at the crossing of highways 93 and 457, marking the center of Hawthorne.

"So you support the local economy?" Black asked when Sally slid into the diner seat opposite hers.

"I support my mom," Sally said. The cafe closed at six, and there was still an hour to go, but business was already slowing down.

"Hi, honey, brought a new guest?" Karen Storm came over from the counter to take their orders. She looked like her daughter had aged twenty years, just with raven-black hair instead of fiery-red. Only her eyes revealed the her hard life of a cafe owner and waitress.

"Yes, Mom, this is... Coach Black, our former Hawthorne High football coach and my former soccer coach, too." Sally maintained Black's former cover.

Black briefly shook hands with Karen Storm. "Just passing through, Ms. Storm. Catching up with Sally."

"Then carry on. Can I bring you guys something?"

"Any recommendations?" Black asked both the mother and daughter.

"Glacier Cake is our specialty. And vanilla shake."

"Combined a million calories, I guess," Black said. "I'll go with the shake."

"And I'll go with the most expensive item you got on the menu, the Black Forrest cake with all the trimmings," Sally said.

"Got it!" Karen Storm said and walked away.

"All the trimmings? Will my AMEX cover it ?"

"Cash only, by the way." Sally pointed at a sign near the cash register. "But there is an ATM right beside the restroom door."

They looked at each other. Sally did know few things about Agent Black, only that she had a special forces army background. Black's normal voice could raise to an impressive bark that had whipped the Hawthorne High football team into shape during her undercover mission. A shape which still lasted in the team's results. Sally did not know exactly Black's agency, but she was definitely not a travel agent.

"What brings you here?" Sally asked to start conversation.

"My boss has asked me to bring you in to our organization."

"I thought you are not allowed to talk about your organization."

"I know. My boss decided to make an exception."

"You don't sound convinced," Sally observed.

"Let's not even get there. You are fifteen, and Montgomery is thirteen. You both should be in school. Not talking about Moe."

"You want to take us out of school to join your organization?" Sally asked. "Count me in!"

Black laughed at that. "I know about your lack of interest in school. But no, you need to attend three more years of high school for you, whatever the outcome of the evaluation."

"Then, why do you want us in your organization? The organisation whose name we still don't know, by the way. And for what?"

"That's classified information until you ace your evaluation. And sign a lot of papers."

"You mean our parents' consent? Or, in Moe's case, his guardian's?" Sally clarified.

"Uh, no, you. Personally. This matter is top secret that even your parents will not know."

Sally stared at her, then glanced furtively left and right to check for listeners. "You're kidding me."

"I kid you not, kid," Black said.