Ch. 32 Cold Front

Start from the beginning

I could feel whatever was in my stomach being thrust toward the ground, which unfortunately kept getting further away. I gripped it as hard as I could, but that didn't really help much when the platform stopped suddenly.

I was thrust into the air by the sudden removal of what was carrying me. However, my arm held me to the platform, which meant I stopped with a jerk before being sling shotted to the surface again.

I shook my head and tried to get my bearings. Around us, I could see clouds hovering there, so close I felt like I could just jump onto them.

No, of course I didn't. I'm not an idiot.

I glanced over at Ice Man, who stumbled around a little precariously for a moment. "Yes, sir...I can occupy the...restaurant..."

I grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him. "Hey. You alright? 'Cause we gotta go."

He blinked a few times before nodding. "Right. Understood." I let go of him and turned around to view what was ahead.

The platform had connected to a larger one suspended in the air on a series of rockets. It hovered so cleanly that it felt like real ground. Almost. The one we stood on continued for a while before it seemed to stop.

I activated my buster while saying, "We'd better go and see what's ahead. Better to not waste time."

We walked forward for a while, and nothing came to bother us. It was rather peaceful for a moment, just the two of us walking down this piece of metal.

"Did you not want to go on this mission, Ice Man?" I asked.

He sort of rubbed the back of his head. "Well, no, I certainly...I mean, I wouldn't want you to be...It...I..."

I looked over my shoulder at him.

He hung his head. "Not really."

I nodded. "And yet you seemed really excited to be showing up at Light Labs, so...anything about that?"

He shrugged. "I like his desk chair?"

"Heads up." I called back as we reached the end of the platform. Below us seemed to be a straight drop down to the ground. I wasn't normally scared of heights, but this kind of got me going. I took just a half of a step back. 

"Attention front, soldier!" Ice Man shouted up to me. I looked ahead, seeing a large red robot emerging from the top of a small cloud. Both were floating towards us, and the robot held a lightning bolt-shaped weapon of some sort, which he threw towards us. I had to jump to avoid the hit, and fired a series of shots into the robot.

The cloud continued to hover there after the robot was destroyed. I took one last quick look around, and sighed. "Guess we're going cloud hopping."

---

After some time, we came across a series of large robots that we were apparently supposed to use as platforms. The only problems were that they had large spikes emerging from either end, and continuously created small drones that would follow us around trying to damage us.

As we jumped from one to another, I looked back at Ice Man. "So, for real."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean why were you so excited to be here if you weren't hoping to go on the mission?" I blasted a drone that flew up into my view.

He shrugged as he froze on of the spikes solid. "Well...I guess...I wanted to see Roll."

I glanced back at him and smirked. "Really."

We made it to some flat ground, and continued moving. "Well, she's just so...nice. I love being around her, and she makes me feel...kinda warm inside? Hmm, emotions are such a confusing concept for us Robots..."