Ch. 12 Deadlocked Part 1

"You're kidding, right? You are kidding?"

"Nope." I replied, hoping Michael would drop it. 

He didn't. "You gave up the armor. The copy powers. All of it?"

"Yeah." I replied. 

"But what about all that stuff about protecting people? Seriously, that's the whole reason you got that stuff."

"Listen, it...brought out this part of me that I didn't like. I...I lost control and I guess I thought I could do anything with these powers. I needed to get a little bit of my mortality back."

"Yeah. Whatever. I just hope you know what you're doing. After all, weren't there still two of them left?"

"I would hope Dr. Wily finally got the point that he's not wanted here."

"I dunno. Bad guys aren't usually like that."

"Yeah, but do you really think life is like a stereotypical comic book?"

"It could be."

I grinned. Five days earlier, I had almost gone out of control fighting the Robot Master Fire Man. Since then, I had decided it was time to give up being Mega Man. I didn't want to hurt anyone else. Not even fellow robots.

So I was just Rock now. It wasn't very exciting understandably, but after everything that had happened I welcomed it.

"Well, I hope this turns out alright." Michael told me.

"Yeah. Oh yeah, I meant to ask, you going to the game tonight?"

"Eh, no. I'm not into football, or our football players, if you know what I mean." He replied.

"Heh, yeah. Well, I need to get going. Talk to you later." I took off down the hallway. I checked my watch, and in that moment I collided head on with someone. I rubbed my head as I got up. "Okay, maybe I should stop running in school. Hasn't worked out well for me." I looked and saw who I had run into. It was a girl, a little taller than me. She had long brown hair, and wore a purple dress with a green shirt. Her face had a soft look, and I found myself looking into her eyes. She groaned as she got up, looking at me with a squint.

"Ow...are you alright?"

I kept staring.

"Um, hey? Are you alright?" She asked again.

I shook my head and refocused on the situation. "Oh! Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry about... I should have...uh..."

She stared at me with a rather disappointed look. "Yeah, well, I'm gonna just...go." And she walked off.

"Smooth." Michael's voice rung in my ears. I sighed as I turned around. "Let me guess man. Little Rock's got a crush."

"What? No. Definitely not. Nuh-uh." I stammered.

"Uh-huh. Go set up a date. No more denying it, go talk to her before you talk yourself out of it."

I felt my cheeks warmed up. Sometimes I hated how well I was programmed. "How...what?"

"Too late! Go!" He shoved me towards her. I looked back in annoyance and ran up behind her, catching her attention.

"Hey, so, uh, I was wondering...um...if...you're going to the game, tonight?" I managed, my stomach swimming circles in my gut.

She looked at me for a second, then seemed to look past me for a second. "Your friend made you do this, didn't he?"

"...Yes. Yes he did." I sighed.

She looked at me again, and smiled. "Alright. You're not terrible. I accept."

"Uh, what?"
"The game. You wanted to go to the football game, right? I accept."