Parallel (Chapter 11)

Start from the beginning

“Really?” This is another series I never read or watched at the movies, but a world without Harry Potter truly means I’m in a whole other dimension.

“Nope.”

I have to ask Aunt Maggie where she keeps the DVD player so I can catch up on all the latest movies. Well, actually, more like every movie ever made. I have some major movie watching to make up for. The thought of my favorite movies not existing is too much.

Jaime decides on Under the Dark Moon. At least it isn’t the Tom Cruise movie. Come to think of it, I think his religion believes in aliens. I bet he sold his soul to the head alien in exchange for fame in all alternate realities. He seems like the type.

“You’d think Hollywood would come up with something more original than a movie about werewolves,” I say as we pay for our tickets. Paranormal romances are so passé. I can’t believe they’re just as popular here too.

“Hollywood? Etta, where do you come up with this stuff?”

As Jaime continues to go on about my flakiness, I learn that the state of California doesn’t exist anymore either.

After a full afternoon of exploring new my reality, we head back home. Over the phone, Aunt Maggie is only too happy to agree to pick us up after the movie. On the way back, Jaime regales my aunt with stories about my weird observations and behaviors.

“Okay, that’s enough fun at my expense.” Even though I hate for them to make fun of me, I feel like I truly belong now. It’s a nice feeling, being around people that care about me. The only person that’s missing from the equation is my dad.

Ultimately, we decide to drop Jaime off at home, rather than have her walk back from our house. This way, she can sneak back before her parent’s realize she stayed out late again after school. Aunt Maggie pulls into the driveway of the Thornberry house and snippets of my memory, from the time when I lived here as a foster kid, flash before me. The house still looks the same. Actually, it’s similar to the one I live in now, but instead of stone masonry, it was laid in red brick with white shutters.

“You better not get in trouble again,” I warn Jaime as she gets out of the car. “I’d hate to lose you as friend.” If she continues to get grounded, I’ll never see her. I should tell her what happens to kids when they threaten public opinion in the Thornberry household. Then again, she’s adopted now, not a foster they can easily give back—like they did with me.

“Nah, they aren’t back yet. I’m good. I’ll call you later.”

My aunt waits in the driveway until she’s sure Jaime is safe and sound in the house. “I don’t envy that girl’s parents.” Aunt Maggie comments, making her way back to our house.

I giggle in agreement. “I think she just likes the attention.”

“I love you both to pieces, but she’s a wily one, that girl.”

We settle into the kitchen for dinner (leftover stew, yay!) and I finally muster up the courage to ask what I’ve been itching to ask since my arrival yesterday. “Hey, Aunt Maggie, has dad called?”

“No, hon. I haven’t spoken to him since last Tuesday. Why? Is anything wrong?”

Today is Wednesday. That means he’s been missing well over a week now. Cooper led me to believe it’s been only a few days, but he’s right on one count—all evidence pointing to his disappearance is probably long gone. If my aunt hasn’t heard from him, I’m at a loss as to whom else to ask. “No. I just haven’t heard from him, that’s all.”