CHAPTER 30 - PARKER

Start from the beginning

Zion skid over to them and slung Jayden's arm around his shoulder. "Get Al, I'll get him. We need to move."

Parker didn't let the shock of the HAWK member helping his super soldier, mind controlled, brother slow him down. He scooped Alya into his arms and followed Zion out the door.

The HAWK member had Jayden slung over his back as he ran down the corridors. Sirens wailed, alarms blaring, the lights flashing blindingly.

White walls blurred in Parkers vision as they ran. He clutched Alya tightly against his chest and ran, as the sirens wailed louder every time they passed a speaker. So loud, he felt it vibrate inside his skull.

Finally, the exit appeared at the end of the hall. Parker pushed his legs to carry them. He couldn't even feel them anymore, but as long as he kept standing, kept running, he didn't care.

They burst through the door, out into the open air of the planet. He saw the Kerostasia at a distance, Nyx and Rowen standing at its bay door and motioning for them to hurry with the rest of the people they saved.

A blast of hot wind barreled into his back, shoving him forward, followed by the delayed ear piercing explosion.

Parker's feet lifted off the ground for a terrifying moment as he was vaulted forward. But he found his footing and kept running for the ship. There we so many people crowding the ship, Parker's heart lurched, the memory of the prison break and Axe closing his throat. For a moment he thought of throwing Alya forward and sacrificing himself like his friend did for him. But then the crowd swarmed in and Zion and Parker stumbled up into the belly of the ship.

"Kaz, now!" Zion bellowed into the comm.

Nyx and Rowen pushed through the crowd to help Parker and Zion with their loads. "We need to get to the medical ward," Nyx said, her face tight as she took Alya in.

The ship lurched up, panicked voices from the released prisoners sounded. Parker ignored him as they rushed out to the medical ward.

Zion put Jayden on a steel table and lifted the top part of a clear box. "Quick, put her in."

Without hesitation, Parker followed Zion's orders and put her in. The lid closed and Zion pressed buttons on the side console at a rapid pace.

White mist began to fill the box, so thick, Parker couldn't see her anymore.

"She'll be okay." Zion breathed, leaning against the box, exhausted.

Parker nodded, staring into the clouded box. She was okay. And Jayden—his brother lay on the table, his eyes closed. He looked serene in a way.

They did it.

They actually did it.

"Come on. We have a lot to do." Zion clamped a hand on Parker's shoulder and left.

Nyx leaned on the door frame. She watched Zion leave before she looked to the box holding Alya, and finally to Parker. "Go. I'll watch them.

With a nod of thanks, Parker followed Zion.

***

It felt like a moment and a year had passed somehow, but in reality, it had only been fifty hours. Within two planetarium days, they had smuggled the freed prisoners onto a black market planet, where they could go to a small function military base to get help. By the time the military got the full story of how a huge group of missing teens suddenly appeared on their door, the HAWKS—and Parker would be long gone.

Alya wasn't in critical condition anymore, but she hadn't woken up. Parker would know, since every moment he could was spent by her side.

They had removed her from the box to a normal bed, and stung her up with needles and tubes to supply saline solutions. Zion came into the room and pulled up a chair next to Parker. "Jorrit ran a scan on Jayden's chip. It's completely burnt out. It's no longer active, so he's no longer under control. Though, he's not sure about his limbs or anything else until he wakes up."

Parker nodded numbly. He'd guess as much. "What about her?"

Nyx walked in at that moment and answered for Zion. "She just needs rest. All her waves and vitals are normal. You need to rest too."

Parker's lip quirked up on one side. Things had really changed. Nyx had hated him when he first boarded, and now her voice sounded almost gentle. "Yeah." He nodded, just to oblige her.

When he did go to his room and rest, his dreams were fractured and bloody. A hand grabbed his arm and he jolted awake, his body lurching on instinct halfway across the room before his blurry gaze took in Zion. "What is it?" His voice cracked with sleep. "Alya?"

Zion shook his head, hand still out as if to placate him, or keep Parker at a distance, it didn't seem he was sure himself. "She's fine. But we've got company. The Galactic Feds are hailing us. They'll be looking for you."

Parker's stomach dropped. He couldn't be caught. He'd get tossed back in some prison on the brink of humanity. Everyone would be punished or worse. Parker swallowed, but his throat was ash.

"Emergency pod."

There was no time for goodbyes. He pulled on his boots, his jacket, and his pack, and followed Zion on.