Prologue

Ok, so the school was on fire, but this time it wasn't my fault. At least, this time I didn't intentionally cause it. All around me I could hear the screams of my classmates, my pack, my friends. And one scream that I shouldn't have heard rang through my ears and spine, making my blood run cold and my wolf turn hot with rage. The scream of my mate.

      I didn't need any help finding him. My feet carried me as fast as physically possible as my senses led me right to him. I could hear his screams resonating through the halls where my pack members were fighting for their lives. I could smell his scent, mixed with the awful stench of blood that seemed to be all around me, hoping that none of it was his. I could taste the salt from my tears as I turned corner after corner trying to find him. And then, I could feel my heart physically drop as I saw him lying in a pool of blood. His beautiful hazel eyes that used to light up when they saw me were now only half open, and his breath was coming out in short pants. His wound was easy to see, because there were 5 long claw marks running across his chest, causing the blood to pour out of him. I knew there was no way to save him, the wound looked way too serious,  too deadly. I could even see traces of silver lining the wound, preventing any type of healing.

    "NOOO!" I cried as I threw my arms around his neck, my tears mixing with his blood as it started to stain me; my clothes, hair, skin, and face. And my mind. I knew that I would take this horrible scene with me every moment from now on. Well, every moment until my own death of course.

    I could already feel my wolf growing weaker and weaker at the loss of her mate. She was howling in pain, and I didn't realize it right away that I was too. There was suddenly a hole in my chest, and even though it wasn't bleeding like his, I knew it would be just as deadly.

   Because of the pain of losing my mate and my howling, I didn't realize that I had company until they were practically on top of me. There were a dozen or so giant wolves, each looking bigger and hungrier than the last. I could see blood mixing in with their drool, and some even had bits of flesh from their victims left in their teeth. When a couple more of them ran in, they parted down the middle. I knew right then and there I was looking my death in the eye.

   He was a monstrous beast,  standing at least 10 feet tall on all fours. He had midnight black eyes that could only be distinguished from his pitch black coat because of the red around the pupils. He walked high and mighty, and there was no doubt looking into his eyes what he wanted to do to me. He wanted nothing more than tear me to shreds.

    I knew that even trying to fight back would be useless. I could already begin to feel my own wolf fading, her presence leaving and taking my strength with it. I knew that shifting wouldn't be an option, and I knew that without help from my wolf, I would be dead in a minute. More likely less than that.

    As I heard the big wolf howl at his wonderful catch, lunging for me, I felt my consciousness slip away for the final time.

    Maybe, if I was lucky, I would end up in the same place as my beloved mate....