twenty-five - of donuts & men

chapter xxv.
( iron man 2 )

taking over   this town,
they   should worry
but these problems aside,
i think i taught you well

but   you're   a king
and i'm a lion-heart
king and lion-heart ─── of monsters & men

but       you're       a      king and     i'm    a     lion-heartking and lion-heart ─── of monsters & men

queens, new york
may 30, 2011

It's the smell of breakfast coming from Pepper's kitchen that gets me moving the next morning. Well, I guess it's not really morning anymore. It's more like mid-afternoon and I haven't left Pepper's spare bed all day. The whole party situation has got me beat. Not to mention the fact that I stayed up very late last night because I had to go to the hospital and get some glass taken out of my legs and upper chest. I really wish Happy and Pepper would've just listened to me when I said I was fine because it really wasn't that bad. There were about nine glass shards about the size of my pinky-nail in my body and everything else were just some minor cuts. My back is pretty bruised though. I looked in the mirror when we got to the apartment last night; my back is completely covered in large black, purple, and blue splotches. The doctors told me I am going to be sore for the next few weeks until it heals. They aren't wrong as far as I can tell so far.

I yawn and shuffle down the hall until I reach the kitchen, "Hey Pepper, I thought you were,"

I shriek when I see that it's not Pepper standing before me, but a tall man with dark skin and leather clothes. His back is facing me as he hovers over the stove. I grab onto a lamp and hurl it at him with as much force as I can. He nonchalantly ducks before it smashes into the wall, shattering in every direction. I search around quickly for another thing to throw before remembering that I am actually now equipped with two built-in weapons. Ah, the convenience. Breathing in sharply, I raise my hands and I feel the thrusters powering up. The man merely glances at me over his shoulder. He's clearly unimpressed with my reaction.

"Miss Potts left a note for you on the table," his deep voice informs me as he nods towards the small table, "It appears you were still sleeping when she left for work this morning. She apologizes for having to go, but I'm sure you understand that there are some things with the media she had to take care of."

I keep one hand trained on him as I pick up the note and see that she did write everything that he just said.

I allow the note to flutter to floor so that I can point both thrusters at him again, "Who are you?! What are you doing here?! Get out!"

He uses the spatula to put some eggs onto a plate before turning around to face me. I'm surprised to see that he has an eye-patch and I do my best not to stare. Wait, why shouldn't I stare? Yeah, it's rude, but this guy just broke into Pepper's house! That's pretty rude on his part so I think I can be rude as I want to be!