fifteen - breakdown

chapter xv.
(   iron man   )

you   all   say   i've
crossed a   line,
but   the sad fact
is i've lost my mind
beekeeper ─── keaton henson

you    all    say     i've crossed       a      line, but    the    sad   fact is i've lost my mindbeekeeper ─── keaton henson

malibu, california
may 14, 2010

TRIGGER WARNINGS

depictions of mental illness, violence,

mentions of sexual assault, torture

I drop my bag down in the doorway of the house. It's hard to walk through the doorway and I'm sure that's for a number of reasons. Guilt. Blame. Anger. Shame. And the one that I keep trying to push away: fear. When I enter this house, I enter the same situation I was in just two days ago. Drowning in thoughts of death. Stuck in Edgar Frost's clutches. I shiver at the thought of the Benefit. And I hate myself for thinking that the only reason I decided to go across the world to help innocent refugees was to take my mind off of him. The one decent thing I could do and I don't even do it for decency.

"Lisa?" Pepper's voice catches my attention and I jolt up to look at her standing inside the house with a confused expression on her face, "Lisa, where were you? I was so worried when you weren't here,"

My chin trembles as I speak hoarsely, "Hey Pepper. Long time," my voice catches so obviously that I just decide to not say the 'no see' part and I give up on even trying to figure out an excuse for me not being here.

Her eyes scrunch up in concern as she makes her way over to me, "Sweetheart? Honey, what's wrong?"

I shake my head quickly, not meeting her eyes.

What am I so afraid of? I'm always afraid. I've always been afraid. If this trip to Afghanistan has taught me anything, then it's that I have never stopped being afraid. Fourteen years of being terrified out of my mind. Fourteen years.

"Nothing, I'm just tired," well, that last part is true at least.

Why am I always lying to them?!

"Lisa," she lightly touches my arm, but I pull back instinctively.

"Ugh," I push my fists up against my eyes, trying to fight the tears and anger, "I'm sorry, Pepper. I'm freaking out. I'm sorry."

"Hey, Sweetie," she rubs my arms and takes my fists away from my eyes, "why don't you go downstairs and talk to your dad? Maybe that'll help. Actually, I know it will. It might not be very," she pauses and winces, "pleasant, but, with what I caught him doing a while ago and with how you've been acting, well, I think there is a lot you two need to discuss."