1

"Salam alakom, Elham. How are you doing?" Mariam said, speaking into the phone to her best friend. Mariam and Elham have been best friends since Elham came from her home country, Jordan, a few years back. They met through the masjid and have been best friends since.

"Alakom Salam, Mariam. Alhamdoullah. I'm not complaining. This divorce is exhausting me."

Elham was divorcing from her abusive husband. She has two small children, Layla and Lina. Akram, her ex-husband, used to hit her and break things when he becomes angry with rage. Elham had hoped that Akram would change but when she came to the realisation that he wouldn't change and that it was his personality, she gave up trying to make it work between them and decided it was time to leave. She didn't want to do this because she loved Akram. But she worried about herself and her children from him. So she had to take the initiative and do the right thing. Now she is back at her parents house with her children.

"May Allah make it easy for you, Elham," Mariam says. Mariam was very concerned about her friend. She was going through so much trials and Mariam always made dua for her friend for Allah to help her and give her patience.

"Insha Allah. Its hard to have to see him take the kids for a visit. I worry so much, Mariam." Elham was always worried for her children. She was worried what if Akram gets angry and frustrated with the girls and hits them? She didn't want to imagine it and she wouldn't forgive him if he hurt them.

"Dont worry. Allah will protect them. Insha Allah."

"Insha Allah. What's new with you? How are you and your family? Did you get any new proposals?" Elham probs her friend. Mariam was young compared to her. Elham was eight years older than her friend.

"Alhamdoullah my family is well. Actually yes, there is this guy named Malik," Mariam tells her, blushing.

"Go on. Did you like him?"

"He seems decent enough. He's sweet. He brought roses for our first meeting." Mariam recalled when Malik greeted her for the first time with flowers. She thought they were so beautiful and that stirred her heart at the gesture.

"Oh my Allah. You got yourself a romantic," Elham gushes. Elham sadly remembered how Akram was like when they were engaged. He used to be so kind and gentle and loving. He fooled her, she thought bitterly. But how was she to know that beneath his mask was a man who would be so harsh and violent?

Mariam laughs. "Yes. He's quite the romantic. He couldn't keep his eyes off me."

"So you are interested in him? Is there any flaws that bother you?" Elham asks. She didn't want her friend to make the same mistakes she did.

"I think i do like him. But its too soon to say. But there is one thing he said that caught my attention."

"And whats that?"

"He wants me to wear the niqab."