Chapter 36

He paced back and forth in the parlor for what seemed like days, but in reality it had only been a couple hours. He paused in his pacing when he heard the door open. "Doc, how is she? Is she going to be okay?"

"Easy, there. She should be fine in a few days. She doesn't have any burns and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any permanent damage to her lungs. She will just need to rest for a couple of weeks."

"Can I see her?" He asked, his voice full of tenderness and concern.

"She's awake, you can go on in." Doc said as he motioned towards the other room.

He walked in the room, shutting the door quietly behind him. He pulled one of the arm chairs up and sat down bedside the bed. Gently, he picked up her hand, wrapping it in both of his hands. He sat there for a few minutes drinking in her features, the same features that he had come to love.

"You saved me." He heard in a croaky whisper.

Instantly he looked up into her beautiful eyes that were now open. "Of course I saved you, you crazy woman."

"Why?" She began to cough almost uncontrollably.

Quickly, he grabbed the glass of water off the bedside table, then gently slid his arm behind her so that she could drink more easily. "Better?" Once she nodded, he removed his arm and set the glass back on the bedside table.

"Why?" She asked again.

He sat there for a minute, then pressed his lips to her fingertips. "Because you crazy woman, I love you."

"You do?"

He sighed deeply. "Mildred, I've loved you since the first time I saw you when you were ten years old. I loved you when you married my best friend and every day since you buried him. I just never thought you felt anything for me, so I kept my feelings to myself. But, tonight when I was walking by, doing my nightly rounds and I saw your hotel on fire, I thought I'd lost you. So, you may not feel the same way I do, but I'm not going to go another day without telling you exactly how I feel."

Tears glistened in her eyes. "I had no idea you felt that way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning of the wedding dawned bright and beautiful. The sky was a deep clear blue with a warm soft breeze that caused the white lace curtains to billow. Hope was applying the finishing touches to Claire's hair and outfit. "There, I think we're ready. What do you think?" Faith and Grace commented and went on about how beautiful the bride looked.

Claire stood back staring at the woman looking back at her. She never thought she was particularly pretty, but today, today she actually thought she was. Her rich auburn hair was in a loose up do with soft tendrils framing her oval face. A few springs of baby's breath were placed strategically in her hair. Her peaches and cream complexion glowed in her emerald green gown.

"You are truly a beautiful bride." Grace said as she dabbed her eyes. "I'm sorry. I just get so emotional when I'm expecting."

Hope glanced over at the clock on the mantle. "Oh my! We need to get going or you're going to be late for your own wedding."

"Faith and I will go on down and make sure everybody is seated and that everything else is ready. Give us about ten to fifteen minutes before you come down." Grace gave Claire a hug, then she and Faith left.

"Um Claire?" Hope's face was turning red with just the thought of the subject she was bringing up. "Do you know about what happens between a man and a woman on their wedding night?"