Chapter 4

The wagon bounced and jostled Hope as she held the handle on the side of the seat with her right hand and stared at the gold band on her left hand as the diamonds sparkled in the sun. It wasn't the wedding that she'd dreamed of as a little girl, but it was still nice and it truly, was a beautiful church. She could say it was more than she'd expected when she decided to come out here and marry a total stranger. In fact, Levi, her husband, was more than she'd expected and so very handsome!

"I hope you like the ring." Levi said as he turned to look at her deep violet eyes and smiled when he saw them light up.

"Oh, it's beautiful! And, so much more than I could have hoped for." Hope exclaimed as she held her hand out, moving her finger slightly as she admired the sparkle of the diamonds again.

"It was my grandmother's."

"Oh." Hope said, as some of the sparkle left her eyes.

Levi's brows drew together as he tried to think about why she would be disappointed about the ring being his grandmothers. Surely, she wasn't like Alicia and wouldn't be angry because he hadn't bought a new one for her. Then, it hit him, he turned slightly in his seat to face better. "Hope, it wasn't Alicia's. She never wore it, she didn't even know about it. In fact, I never bought her a wedding ring, at all.

"To be honest with you, I wasn't sure I was going to give it to you but I brought it, just in case. I don't know you, well, other than the few letters we exchanged but I feel like you are an honest person. You didn't have to tell me the reason you decided to come out here, but you did, and I appreciate it."

"I'm honored that you gave it to me and it doesn't matter who wore it before me, because I'm wearing it now." She said, as an impish smile curved her full lips and her eyes sparkled like amethysts. Then, with a serious look on her face, Hope turned to face him. "I'm not a materialistic person, at all. It's just that, I know how you and your first wife didn't get along and I don't want anything that will remind you of her."

"I'm glad to know that. I really think you will be a good influence on Ellie. She's been looking forward to meeting you, you know."

"I'm excited to meet her too. I couldn't bring much with me but I did bring my two favorite books to read to her. Um, what exactly, did you tell her?" Hope had gone from excited to nervous in just a few seconds. "Can you tell me about her?"

Levi sat there for a moment, his body swaying with the motion of the wagon. Occasionally, their shoulders and knees would bump into each other, causing a very becoming but almost constant blush to Hopes cheeks. Levi turned his head to look at her again. "About Ellie," he started, and her heart all but stopped as a sinking feeling began to settle in the pit of her stomach.

"I told her the truth or as much of it as I could. She knows her mother and I didn't get along although, she doesn't know why. I don't think she liked her very much, either. But, I told her that I had to get married again to keep her with me and she promised me that she would be good for you." Even though Hope had not laid eyes on this child, she already loved her. This little girl, who had been through so much in her short life, was promising her father that she would be good for her new mother, so she could stay with him. How lucky Levi and Ellie were to have each other. She, herself, had never known that kind of love from either of her parents.

"Her mother wouldn't have anything to do with her, even as a baby. I had to buy a goat for milk, so I could feed her. Early on, I realized that I was going to be the one raising Ellie. So, she's a little different from most little girls her age." Levi said a little slower. He'd never thought of how Hope would react to seeing his daughter. After all, she looked normal to him, but he saw her every day.