Chapter 18

Hope awoke with her husband's calloused hand splayed across her slightly rounded stomach. She smiled as she turned her head to look at her husband, then frowned at his expression. "Levi, what's wrong? Why do you have such a sad look on your face?"

"What, oh nothing's wrong. Why would there be?"

"I don't know that's why I asked. And don't lie to me, I know you well enough to know that something is on your mind. Now, what is it?"

Levi laid there for a few moments, his mind racing. He couldn't tell her the truth, not until he had more answers himself. So he told her a partial truth. His fingers flexed on her stomach, then he took a deep breath, he didn't like keeping anything from his wife. But in this instance, it's what's best. There's no point in worrying her unnecessarily. "I was just thinking about how I missed this when Alicia was carrying Ellie." He flexed his fingers again, letting her know what he had meant.

Hope laid her hand over his. "I'm sorry that you missed out on this before. But, God forgive me, I'm not sorry that she's gone. I love you and Ellie so very much!"

"I'm not sorry she's gone either." He replied as he leaned over and kissed her lips lightly. "I guess I need to get my lazy backside out of the bed and get to work."

Hope looked over at the window to see the pink blush of dawn. "Oh my goodness, I overslept. Levi, why didn't you wake me up? I should have breakfast ready by now; the men are going to be starving and late getting to work."

"I didn't wake you because you were sleeping so soundly. And as far as the men are concerned, they'll be just fine. I promise."

"Well they might be just fine, but I'm getting up to make you breakfast. Do you mind going to get the eggs? I'll milk the cow a little later." It had been almost three months since she'd gotten lost in that snow storm. Most of the snow was gone now, only a few patches remained, but she still did not venture outside after dark unless it was to use the outhouse.

Levi threw back the covers to get up for the day. Hope rolled over on her side to admire her husband as he walked in all his naked glory across the room to get his clothes. Her heart began to beat a little faster as her eyes devoured his long muscular legs and firm rear end. Her eyes then rose to his trim waist then broad shoulders as his muscles flexed and danced as he pulled on his pants. He could feel her eyes devouring him and he loved it!

He turned around to see his wife laying on her side with smoldering eyes that seemed to light him on fire. "Love, if you keep looking at me like that I'm going to keep you in that bed all day long." He said as he walked back and sat down on the bed in front of her. Leaning over he kissed her forehead as he brushed ebony curls back from her face then ran his finger down the creamy white skin of her arm. "Have I told you how much I love you today, Mrs. Matthews?"

"No, I don't believe you have Mr. Matthews." She said smiling, and then became serious. "Are you sure everything is OK Levi?"

"Hope, I promise, everything is fine. I just don't want to leave our bed today is all."

His smile was easy but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Wisely she kept her mouth shut. Whatever her husband had on his mind was going to stay there. It was obvious that he wasn't going to talk to her about it, at least not today. That was OK with her. She could be very patient when she wanted to be.

Levi threw his leg over his buckskin gelding, sitting tall and proud as he waited on Tuck to give him his morning report. A few minutes later his foreman rode in pulling his horse up beside his buckskin. "What do you have for me this morning?"

"Nothing last night. I think that whoever it is knows that we have a night watch now. They are going to be much more careful now." Tuck replied taking his hat off and running his fingers through his shaggy blonde hair.