Chapter 1:2

The boy had never run so fast in his life. He coughed, as he sped toward the bare, black manor beyond the gates. He waved his arms and looked to the narrow arched windows, hoping to be seen by his parents. Just feet from the windswept entrance, he fell flat on his face. Whimpering, he pulled himself up and reached for the door.

"Mum... Dad!" he cried, feeling a sudden rush of sickness.

A tall and elegant woman entered from the far end of the hall. A younger, sickly looking boy followed close behind. "Albus Dumbledore! It's after dark. You had us worried sick. How many times —?" his mother began, before noticing his face. His cheeks were horribly scratched from the fall, and a dribble of blood trickled from his chin. Beads of terrible sweat mixed with the tears on his face. "Dear, what happened to you?"

"He's brought a stick inside again," said Aberforth, the younger brother, with a wounded chuckle. "That's not a wand, you know."

"Why are you crying?" the woman asked, bending low.

"I tried to make them stop, Mum... I couldn't..." he whined, shaking the stick back and forth.

His mother pulled away, her face going white. "Albus. Where's Ariana?"

"Muggles. Three of them — boys. She... she did magic," said Albus uncertainly.

"Kendra? What's wrong?"

"It's Ariana, Percival!"

A crash came from the next room.

"Is she in trouble?!" asked their father, his striking eyes and handsome features quivering as he sped over to them. "What's happened?!"

"They made her do it a second time. I warned her, but she wouldn't listen. And then — oh, we have to stop them!"

"Accio Broomsticks!" Percival commanded, wand in hand. "Take us to her!"

The day had darkened, lines of purple clouds striped the sky, and two faintly visible broomsticks were coasting over the high, brown grass. Somewhere in the distant gloom, they could see spherical bursts of brilliant, multi-colored light. It shone out every few seconds, accompanied by flecks of sparkling stars that showered down at each spectacular eruption. On any other night, it would have been magnificent. The four of them didn't know what they were seeing, but it was in the same direction as the pond where Albus and Ariana had been playing.

"Hurry, Percival," said Kendra unsteadily, from the second broomstick. "Something's wrong."

When they reached the pond, they could hear more clearly that the bursts of light were accompanied by a muffled and rhythmic thumping. Their eyes adjusted, and they searched for the source of the enchantment — then a heart-wrenching scream crackled like a clap of lightning across the field.

 Their eyes adjusted, and they searched for the source of the enchantment — then a heart-wrenching scream crackled like a clap of lightning across the field