"How – how did you find me? The last thing I remember is falling to my knees. I willed myself to get up but I just couldn't."

He pulled back to look at her. "What happened Hope? "

"Oh Levi, I'm so sorry." Her eyes became luminescent with unshed tears. "If I'd just listened to you everything would have been fine. I went to milk the cow and get eggs just like I do every morning. I knew it would be warmer in the barn so I wore my lighter shawl. Then when I got ready to leave I realized that a storm had blown in. I never even thought to use the rope to guide myself back to the house. I promise it will never happen again."

"Make sure that it doesn't because I can't go through that again. The thought of losing you is just – just, I can't lose you!"

The thought of hurting him was too much to bear. Hope wrapped her arms around his neck bringing his mouth to hers. A little maneuvering and she had him laying over her with her legs wrapped around his waist. His lips left hers as they trailed a path to her jaw then her neck causing chills of excitement to course through her body and moans of pleasure to escape her lips.

His teeth grazed her collar bone as they nipped their way down to her breast and pebbled nipple. With his left hand he cupped her breast and gently rolled her nipple between his thumb and fore finger as Hope arched her back into him. Shoving her fingers through his thick shaggy hair, she brought his mouth back to hers.

It took everything he had but finally he managed to pull his mouth from his wife's. "We can't, Love. You need your rest."

"I'm fine, just a little tired." She panted. "But what would really make me feel better is for you to make love to me. I need you." It was all the encouragement he needed from his wife. He began to make love to her careful to keep the pace slow and easy.

Sometime later they lay with their legs tangled in the sheets, her head on his chest and sense of satisfaction. The light of the fire filled the room with an amber glow as the shadow from the flames danced on the ceiling. "Don't ever do that to me again." Levi whispered as his right hand absently stroked the inky curls away from her flushed face.

"I promise. Levi, I was so scared. I didn't think I would ever see you or Ellie again."

"Sshhh. It's OK. Everything worked out, I found you and you're safe. Now, how about I get you something to eat." Easing away from her, he slid out of the bed and pulled on his pants. "I will be right back."

A little while later he came back with a tray loaded down with tasty food. Levi carefully laid the tray on the bed side table then slid his pants back off. He climbed in bed and brought the tray to his lap.

Hope's eyes bulged when she saw the tray. "How hungry do you think I am?" She asked with a chuckle.

"I wasn't sure what you would want. So I just got a little of everything that was available." He said with a sheepish look on his handsome face then handed her a bowl of stew that Harold had been kind enough to keep warm for them.

The stew was surprisingly good. She quickly ate what was in her bowl then accepted a slice of bread slathered with fresh sweet butter. Lastly he handed her a glass of cool milk to wash it all down. Groaning, Hope flopped back onto the soft feather bed and rubbed her flat stomach. "Oh my goodness I'm so full. If I eat like that too often I will have to let my dresses out."

Levi moved the tray to the bed side table, stoked and banked the fire for the night then crawled back into bed and lay down on his back. Hope rolled over laying her head on his chest then threw her right arm and leg over him. "Thank you."

"For what?" He asked as he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"For coming to find me this morning and for getting me something to eat." She mumbled sleepily.

"There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you." He whispered but he knew she didn't hear him. A soft snore told him she was fast asleep. He wasn't going to dwell on the events of the day. Things could have very easily turned out differently. Hugging her a little tighter, he sent up another prayer of thanks then closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Hope stepped back from the table smiling as she admired her work. It looked pretty darn good. She'd been baking for days and this morning she got up well before dawn to have everything ready for this afternoon. It was Christmas Day and she was a bundle of nerves. For one, this was her first Christmas here and she wanted it to be perfect. Then there were the gifts she had for Levi.

Her nervous fingers patted her hair then ran down the front of her apron. "Levi." She called out then went back to the kitchen.

A few minutes later he walked out of his office and into the kitchen where he found his wife with her hands fidgeting with her apron. He watched her for a moment, his brow furrowing at her nervousness. "Did you need something?"

A deep voice startled her causing her to jump slightly. "I I'm sorry. I didn't hear you walk in."

Levi took a moment to look at his wife. She was so beautiful and most days confident in whom she was. There was barely any resemblance to the woman that stepped off that train all those months ago. "Dinner smells delicious; I can hardly wait to dig in." He said as he walked across the room and took her into his arms.

"Well, that's why I called you. Dinner's ready. Why don't you go call the men while I pull this last batch of biscuits out of the oven?"

He opened his mouth to say something but snapped it shut when his wife raised a single ebony eyebrow. Huffing slightly, he walked out of the kitchen, grabbed his sheep skin coat, then went to go get his men from the bunk house. They had argued, no, talked about having the men eat with them. Levi wanted it to be just the four of them but Hope had insisted all of the unmarried men eat with them.

It wasn't that he didn't want them in his house or even eating with them. He didn't want the men near his gently bread wife. Not that he didn't trust her, he did, completely. But she was a beautiful woman and beautiful women have been known to cause normally sane men to do things only an insane man would do. And dammit, he liked all of his men; they were hard workers and well trained. The last think he wanted to do was kill one of them, but he would if any of them so much as let their gaze stray from her face.

Pristine snow crunched beneath his boots as he stomped his way to the bunk house. Fortunately he was smart enough to know that he could not win and shut his mouth, giving in to his wife's wishes before he ended up in the dog house or rather the bunk house. It had not snowed anymore since the day Hope had gotten lost. She didn't know it but she got all turned around that day and was heading away from the house. If he had not found her, she would have never found her way back and died in that storm.

Heavy gray clouds gave way to white fluffy ones allowing the sun to shine for the first time in days. Finally he reached the bunk house. He snatched the door open. "Dinner's ready." His voice was gruff and each man got the stare as they got up to exit the door. Several of the newer men shuffled uncomfortably not sure of what to make of the boss' mood. There was NO mistaking the meaning of the look. Each and every one of them would be on their best behavior. It was a rare treat to be able to eat with the family in the big house. Besides, Tuck had already warned them that if they got out of line they wouldn't have a job.

XD;