Chapter 5

SKY

Today I went to Testing again, they did more chemical injections and analysis, but they sedated me. As I groggily came around, they were still Testing and I clenched my teeth so i could hear bits of the Coats conversation.

" Jeff is not to know about this, and he must be kept out of this basement- we are lucky to have soundproofed it after that stupid girl screamed at that party", the sandy-haired head Coat ordered

Then a severe looking blonde lady scowled, "She was useless in the Testings anyway,and she's dying on us like that, what a waste of time"

"This one has something though- her and subject 21", a woman off to the side with jet black hair mused.

Wait a minute- we were in Jeff's basement?

Who the hell is subject 21?

I tried harder to ignore the throbbing pain and listen.

"We are close to finding the appropriate combination to enhance human abilities, but if a subject receives them, they must remain in lockdown so we can study them in the special vault and produce copies." Said another voice.

But then I slid back under and the sedation reclaimed me.

Once again I awoke on my now familiar cold, hard mattress. Ash was waiting for me to wake up as always, and the words rushed out of my mouth as i told her everything that I had learned. Katrina would probably want to know this, so we called out to her.

Silence. We knew that she always replied, unless in Testing. We called out again. Silence. We waited three days for her. Calling out once a day. Silence, always silence.

I put my ear up against the wall, and I heard low moans. They carried on for what felt like hours and painstakingly puttered into silence. I smelled the acrid scent of death, and I knew the Testing had finally overcome her.

I contemplated on how to break it to Ash, but when I turned around the resignation must have showed on my face. "She's gone isn't she?" Ash questioned, in a way that i knew i didnt have to answer her.

We sat in a sort of silent vigil until the food came. But neither one of us touched the porridge-if you could call it that. We numbly stared at our door as the next couple meal came and went, eating little of our glop porridge. Ash, of course, was the first to get over it.

I was so used to sitting still that I jumped and almost pulled a muscle when Ash suddenly sat bolt upright and a look of excitement grew on her face.

And she said," We could escape..."