Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

As I walked through my front door I smelled a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen and immediately knew where my mother was. I skipped cheerfully into the kitchen and found her baking a cake for my brother's third birthday.

In my sweetest, most persuasive voice, I asked her, " hey mom, may I please go to the back to school party at Jeff's house tonight? Everyone is going and it's going to be so much fun."

My mom's face immediately went tense. "Do you have any idea how stressful it is having to organize Scottie's birthday party, keep you in line, and feed this family? Plus, it's a school night and I have never heard of this Jeff, and I can't trust you enough anyway."

She was clearly against the party idea. I knew that once my mother said no, it was final, so I didn't even bother arguing. I slowly trudged to my bedroom and flopped on my purple bed in defeat. I looked in my pocket and noticed a recent text from Ash. I unlocked my screen and began to type the bad news. Almost as soon as I sent it she replied.

*

Ashton: Hey

Me: my mom says I definitely can't go. :/

Ashton: So? My dad said no and shooed me away. I'll probably just sneak out.

Me: Sneak Out? I don't know if that is a good idea.

Ashton: What is the worst that could happen? Getting grounded?

Me: Fine. You have a point. When and where?

Ashton: Well, I just found out that Jeff lives five blocks from here so we can just meet at our usual spot at 9pm.

Me: Sounds cool. See you then.

*

Our usual spot was behind the swing set at the old playground in our neighborhood. We used to meet there to play but now we just go there to talk in private or face to face - or y'know... use it as a meeting place to sneak out to an parent-vetoed party.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

BTW italics meant the convo they were having through text

Any feedback is appreciated

~J