Chapter Eighteen

Começar do início

Gabriel was shaking when Theo hovered a hand over him and pulled him up straight by his collar. “What the hell are you doing?”

“Uh it’s just that you looked familiar.” He nervously responded, darting his eyes side to side to avoid eye contact.

Theo let go of his collar and he seemed to calm down a bit. “What do you remember?”

“I don’t remember anything in particular, it’s just that I’ve seen you before. In fact I know I have. But I just don’t know where.”

Theo put his hood down and ran a hand through his hair, annoyed that this boy was wasting his time. “No, I don’t think you have.”

Gabriel gasped when he realised it was the man whose cabin they were living in. “Oh it’s you, I’m sorry. It’s just in your cloak you seemed like someone I’ve seen before.” He massaged his temples. “That stuff must’ve really messed with my head right?”

“You shouldn’t be here, you know.”

“Sorry, I just had to know.”

“I guess I don’t really have much of a choice.”

Gabriel’s eyes widened, “What, what do you mean.”

Instead of speaking with his words he used his body. His gloved fist propelled from his side and connected with the side of Gabriel’s face. The punch was strong enough to knock the poor sucker out. “Night night.” He muttered before walking the way he came, all the way to Helen Alsandair’s house. This time his journey was not disrupted.

Inside Helen was contemplating whether which colour earrings to wear by using her reflection. She was quickly disrupted from her dressing ritual when the same sounding knock as last night laid itself on the door. “Yes?”

When he heard her boss’s affirmation, he entered. He looked the same as the guard that had come in last night. In fact it was probably the same one. With a completely black poker face he began. “Your escorts are here to take you to the meeting spot.”

Helen turned back to the small circular mirror that set on the top of her dressing drawer. She finally made her decision and began putting on the earrings that Rembrandt had gifted her during the early period of their marriage. “I’ll be down soon.”

The guard bowed and left, following the same procedure as last night. Helen finished putting on the remainder of her jewellery and making a few adjustments to her make-up and hair before leaving the comfort of her own room.

As she walked down the grand stairs, she saw two men as well as the other guards waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. Her legs felt stiff as she realised that this was actually happening, after so many years. It took her longer than it should’ve to reach levelled ground.

“This way, Ma’am.” Said one of the cloaked men that were supposed to escort her to the meeting point.

She walked out of the door while the two escorts came out and stood on either side of her. Outside was a carriage waiting to transport her there. The carriage seemed big enough for about four people with a seat in front for the one guiding the horses in the right path. Without hesitation she was helped into the carriage followed by her escorts while a couple of the bodyguards took the reins of the horses.

When the carriage was well on its way, she looked through the see-through curtains to see most of the public that happened to be outside at that time, standing in their tracks to watch the spectacular to go past. It was not every day that they saw a carriage go past. Then again it was not every day that Helen Alsandair left her mansion.