27 ➸ dear annie

Annie Leblanc
26 December 2017

•••

The grittiness of the woollen blanket scratches my skin as I sit cross-legged on my bed, Johnny lying next to me and Lauren next to him.

"Do you want me to read it aloud?" I ask them, referring to the apology text Mackenzie sent me.

They share an indescribable look. I laugh. "Come on, are you really scared of-"

"No. Read it out." Lauren urges, and Johnny nods his head.

"Well. Here goes..." I begin, taking a breath and opening the text I got from Mackenzie.

"Dear Annie. I'm going to start this off with an apology, a sincere one at that. I honestly am sorry for all the pain and hurt I have caused you, and yes I know that what I did over the last few months wasn't okay.
See, although you think I have the perfect family, I definitely don't. Last month on October the second my Granma, Bopcha, died. I can't make excuses for my behaviour, but this really hit me hard. Mom has always favourited Maddie; it's all Maddie this and Maddie that in my house, and I was really sad when she died because she was the only person who treated us as equals.
You may not know this, but Hayden even never liked me one bit. We were in a business deal of sorts; I wanted him to be popular and he needed me so his parents would take him seriously. He chose me because I'm rich, something I was oblivious to at the time, and used me. It's hard for me to admit, but he likes you Annie- screw that, he's in love with you.
I was so angry about it, and the obvious person to take it out on was you; I mean you were the biggest threat to my popularity with Hayden liking you and everything.
It has been becoming harder and harder to cover up who I really am and I'm sick of it. To be completely honest, I am a nerd, and I always will be. The real me would much rather stay at home reading a novel than go to another one of those dumb high school parties.
So again Annie, I'm really sorry for all the things I did to you, and I should be. If you'd like to, which I doubt, I'd like to be friends again; like we used to be. Hayden's all yours, I couldn't care less if you date him, and I've ditched the friends I used to have. Call me if you want, I mean you do have my number.
Love, Mackenzie."

I finish reading, voice croaky, and we sit in silence.

"I never knew that..." Lauren trails off. "That she never got her way at home."

"Well she just seems so honest throughout the whole letter, I mean she didn't hold anything back. That would take courage." Johnny says quietly.

"I know. And... she really has changed. I saw her going out of her house the other day, in a messy bun and sweats. She also has her middle school glasses on again." I voice.

It's falls silent again, and we all are consumed in our own thoughts.

"Are you going to take her back?" Lauren asks curiously.

"I don't know." I whisper.

"Well call her you idiot." Johnny teases, grinning. "And I hope you know that the only way to make things work is to see her in person."

I bite my lip, throwing a pillow at his face. "I know."

"So call her, when you have the time." Lauren begins, brushing herself off and standing. "That is, if you want to."

Johnny stands too, and nods. "We'll be off home for dinner now."

"Okay, thanks for coming guys." I smile, hands resting limply at my sides.

"It's okay, come here you." Johnny laughs, enclosing me in a hug. Lauren joins in, and I giggle.

"You guys are the best." I smile.

"Right back at ya." Lauren grins.

Not long after they've gone, and I collapse on my bed with thoughts almost bouncing off the insides of my head. I pull my knitted blanket around me, tucking my phone into my ear after dialling an important number.

"Hello?" The girl on the end finally answers. "Annie?"

"Yeah it's me. Hi Mackenzie. Can I... Can I come around later?"

"Of course." She says, and I can almost hear her smile through the phone.

•••

[763 words]

Things are really falling into place for Annie and I'm very happy ♡

Vote if your excited to see what happens next!! xo