Chapter 2:

((I cant thank you enough for taking the time for reading this!!! :D  Thank you and LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Comments?  Anything would be apreciated!!!:) ))))

The sun slowly started to slide down while the moon took its place.  The light that once covered the farm quickly disolved into complete darkness.  Any moment now, and the master would blow his whistle, have us line up in formation, and send us to our bed chambers.  I slung my bag filled to the rim with cotton over my sholder and walked over to Makena.  As I quickly paced over to her, the moon gave off just enough light to see she had a troubled look on her face,  "Makena," I whispered.  "Tell sissy what the matter." She looked up into my eyes and quietly spoke, "I never got enough cotton..." Her voice trailed off as a silent tear ran down her face because she knew the punishment would be several beatings.  My eyes trailed over to her bag and saw she was missing quite alot.  I looked back over to my bag and without hesitation, grabbed a handful of my own cotton and set it in her hand.  "Put it in your bag, quickly!" I whispered secretively.  Makena was stunned, knowing that if I was caught, death would result.  

         Breaking the silence, a loud screach of a whistle filled the air.  Makena looked at me and shoved the cotton in her bag.  "Thank you."  She hugged me tightly around my thin waist and I hugged her back, feeling her ribcage that was jutting out of her side.  "Come on!" I said grabbing her hand and leading her to the line up.  Sprinting over, I searched the group of people for Ma and Pa.  Towards the middle, they were standing silently looking off into the distance.  "Ma!" cried Makena as she dropped my hand and raced over to our parents.  I watched as there faces lit up watching their youngest child run to them.  Pa grabbed Makena and lifted her above his head.  "Hows my baby girl?" Makena laughed and pushed her face into his chest.  Ma looked over at me walking towards them and opened her arms, expecting a hug.  I rushed into them and my whole body relaxed, just enough to enjoy the sensation.  We all waited in line patiently, evaluating our day while the Master checked our supply of cotton for today.

          Glancing around, I noticed the man ahead of us looked extreamly upset.... and worried.  you could tell by the way he paced back and fourth and repeated what seemed like the Lords Prayer to himself.  He was next, and when they ordered him to display the cotton that he should of gathered he dropped to his knees.  "Please! My family! My family was sick! Theres no food... my wife... shes pregnant! My child -" But thats all he was able to get out.  The master reached for his whip and lashed him across the face.  "Speak when spoken too!" He yelled with rage.  He kicked the man onto his back and ripped off his shirt violently, exposing a bare, scarred spine.  He pulled back the whip and I knew what was coming next... he stuck him, once, twice, three times!  The man yelled out in agony, sputtering out blood.  He was covered in deep gashes oozing out blood.  He was pulled away by other slaves, groaning in pain.

           My father looked angered about what happened, my mother, upset.  My poor sister on the other hands had her hands coverering her eyes.  "Next!" called out the guard, like nothing has happened, and we all walked forward.  He examined us quickly and muttered out, "Go on then! Oh and all  negros are meeting in the barnhouse.  Its mandatory, if your not there, you will be hanged." He rolled his eyes at us as we continued on our way.  A puzzled look came across my parents face, but quickly disappeared.  We walked to our bed chambers in scilence.  I had a feeling that not even my singing could make this night better.