Chapter Three: Happier

Oliver (7 years earlier...)

Mud flies over my head and a disgruntled squeal sounds behind me.  Charlie tightens her grip around my waist when I take a sharp turn up the dirt road that lines the orchard.  It's been raining for most of the summer, so I've been amusing myself by taking her through every mud hole I can find during our ride.

            Her nails dig into my side once more and I let off the gas and roll to a stop at the end of the road.  I need to slow down and wait for Hunter anyway.  He probably pulled off on one of the trails to fool around with Jess. They've been dating for about two weeks now and she's only let him feel her up over her tank top once.  Totally lame.

            I put the four-wheeler in park and glance over my shoulder with a smirk.  "Was I going too fast?"

            Charlie punches me in the shoulder and then pulls her helmet off with a scowl.  "I'm completely soaked."

            The whine in her voice and her choice of words takes my mind to a dirty place. She may be my best friend, but I think about her naked quite often.  I can't help it.  Her body is perfection.  Lithe, toned legs, flat stomach, long shiny blonde hair.  That face though?  Those grey-ish blue eyes that turn darker when she's angry.  Kind of like they are right now.  So fucking hot.

            I remove my helmet and set it down in front of the handlebars.  "I'm sorry," I say, holding in a laugh.  I reach out and run my hand through the tangled, mud-streaked strands of her hair.  "This is a good look for you."

            She scoffs and swats my hand away.  "You're stupid."  She swings her leg over the seat and hops to the ground.  "I need to get off that thing for a minute.  I think you gave me whiplash coming up that hill."

            I smirk at her and then slide off to stand beside her.  "Never, darlin'.  You're always safe with me."

            She rolls her eyes.   "You're also full of shit."

            My grin widens and throw my arm over her shoulder and pull her into my side. I tilt my head down to speak close to her ear.  "Come on now, Charlie.  You know I'd never let anything happen to you."

            She melts into me, her arms wrapping around my waist so casually.  It doesn't take long for those plump, full lips to morph into the smile I've been waiting for.  The one she only gives to me.  After another moment, she laughs and shoves me sideways.

            "You better not," she says, her hands messing with her hair again.  Her expression shifts into something less playful and more serious when she locks eyes with me.  "I have a date tomorrow night."

            I pretend to appear disinterested, but my heart beats a couple extra times. Even though I would never cross that line with her, I still hate to think about anyone else doing it.

            "With who?" 

            Her eyes shift away from me while she continues to work a large chunk of mud out of her hair.  "Liam Nickles."

            "Nope."

            This gets her attention and her eyes pop back to mine.  "What do you mean, nope?"

            "Exactly what I said."  I step past her and reach for my helmet again.  She follows me, clearly expecting more of an explanation.  My fingers mess with the straps and she moves to stand in front of me.

            "Ollie."

            I shrug, leaning back on the seat.  "He's a douchebag."