25 - Rowan

Finished Tower of Dawn. My friends are trying to steal it from me now. Like one literally ripped it out of my hands and ran away.

By the time they finally left for the distant mountains, the sun had hit its highest point and blazed brightly overhead as Rowan lead his allies through the trees. It would be days before they reached the foot of those mountains, and another few days before they got to the other side. After that, who knew what lay ahead?

He would likely tire quickly; every night had been haunted by nightmares of how he might find Aelin, but these last few nights had been the worst of it. He'd stayed awake most nights going over plans, staring at the maps and memorizing each available route, anything to get his mind off of those nightmares.

So as they walked through the village nearest to Terrasen, he was already exhausted. He stayed quiet about it, kept ahead of the others, and nobody seemed to notice his exhaustion, to his immense relief.

The villagers seemed to know something was wrong, because they stayed quiet and avoided the group like plague. Good. He didn't need someone slowing him down right now.

Even the Courts were quiet. Rowan had thought they'd at least ask where they were going. Either they knew he wouldn't answer, or they had found the answer in the days they'd been spying on him.

He wasn't going to pretend that he didn't feel something in the shadows watching him throughout each day. During meetings with Aedion. When he was talking with Lysandra about Darrow. When he'd helped Aedion and Gavriel with training a few days prior. When he checked in with the rest of them to see how far they'd progressed. He'd been careful about his words since the first time he felt it, and had quietly warned the others to do the same. He didn't need them getting too much information yet, not when he wasn't sure what they'd do when they found out Aelin's power, her family, her past, or her relations-- particularly to him.

And in the months he'd been searching alone, it was as if a piece of him had been buried. But now that he was searching with his brothers, now that he wasn't doing this on his own, Rowan was beginning to gain back that piece he'd lost. He was grateful for it. Some things wouldn't fade until he found her: the nightmares he had regarding what condition she'd be in when they did. The anger directed at Lorcan for what he'd done.

But other things had. He wasn't so upset that he didn't know what to do with himself. He was acting the way he used to. He didn't feel so helpless anymore. He could focus on fighting strategy again-- something that'd be particularly useful later on. Rowan was himself again, for the most part. But some part of him still wished he and the others were back in Rifthold, dealing with Arobynn and the Wyrdhounds and the Valg. Even if they hadn't had magic then.

He had never voiced that wish. After all, what was the point? Nothing could grant it. And even if it could be granted, what was to say he couldn't avoid a clash with Maeve? Aelin would likely end up in that coffin either way.

Lysandra caught up quickly to him. "How long," she said quietly, "do you think I'll have to keep this shape?" Rowan and Lysandra had discussed her possibly having to shift into Aelin's form sometimes in order to keep people from questioning them. It was the form she wore now, and Rowan kept his gaze carefully fixed ahead. He didn't need to hurt himself further by staring at a perfect copy of his missing wife. A young girl with mouse-brown hair saw them heading toward her and her eyes widened before she scurried off.

"Just while we're traveling through the villages, and when we're in foreign territories. We don't need anyone stopping us because they don't recognize the Courts."

"Because if Aelin is escorting them, they think the Courts are just foreigners that their Queen's being friendly with?" Lysandra caught on fast. "Possible allies instead of potential enemies."

"Exactly." That was more-or-less the plan. The dodged around a group of children who were too oblivious to get out of the way.

She blew out a breath. "That makes sense. But I hate it." Her voice had an undertone of bitterness. Nobody, in all those months, had ever asked Lysandra if she was okay with this. If she was fine being Aelin's replacement. And ever since people found out what Aelin had asked her to do, she'd been less popular to talk to than Manon.

At least Aedion had forgiven her. But Aedion wasn't there-- he was heading in the opposite direction with Manon and her Thirteen. Her only ally in this group was Rowan, now, and it was hard when she had taken on his wife's form.

"Hopefully," Rowan said carefully, glancing at her despite warning himself that it was a bad idea, "we'll be out of the village soon, and then you can switch back." Blue eyes ringed with gold looked back at him, and Lysandra nodded. Her mouth twitched at the corners, but she fought the smile. As if she knew that would break his limit.

Lysandra looked away before he did, and Rowan loosed a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Bring her back, Prince, Aedion had said to him before he left the first time. He had failed that first time.

He sped up his pace as they rounded a corner into an alley. It was time-- long overdue, actually-- to bring Aelin Ashryver Galathynius home.