The future is unknown

Alex

With the school year coming to a close and Erik and I living together, things were finally settling down with us. Jacob was happy and healthy, and my friends were heading home for the summer. Erik stayed back with me to help me with Jacob. I also helped Joe since Gloria was going home for the summer.

I was filling the different flavors and coffee when Joe came up to me. "Alex, you don't have to do that."

"It's okay. I mean, if we are partners, I might as well help. Plus, I enjoy being here," I reasoned.

"So, what are your plans for the summer?" Joe asked.

"Probably spend time with Erik and Jacob plus help here," I answered.

"Are you excited about senior year?" Joe asked me.

"You know what, I am. I think the future will look bright," I said, smiling.

Erik

Alex was at the coffeehouse, and I took the little man down to get the mail. I opened the mailbox and pulled out a bunch of mail.

"Junk, junk, junk, and more junk. Little man, know when you become an adult, you get a lot of junk mail," I said to Jacob, who reached for the stuff.

I gave him the junk to carry, but I came across a letter addressed to me. Once we were inside, I set him down and opened the letter.

Dear Mr. Richards,

It is with great honor to welcome you into our intern program when you graduate next spring. We will send you all the information you need and look forward to working with you in June.

Sincerely,

University of Michigan Hospital

Physical Therapy Department

"Well, shit," I said, forgetting I had a toddler with me.

"Shit," Jacob repeated.

"No, no swearing, little man," I warned Jacob.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit," Jacob repeated.

"Great, your mother will hurt me," I said to Jacob as I picked him up. "Jacob, you never saw this letter, and I never got it, understand?"

Jacob placed his hands over his eyes.

"Good boy, now to hide the evidence and figure out what I should do before Mommy comes home and has a cow," I told Jacob.

I needed to hide this letter somewhere where I knew Alex wouldn't find it. I had applied for the internship last year. Going into physical therapy, we're required to do a course. Then a clinical at a hospital for a year before moving into our field. It was a long shot with even getting in since U of M is a sought after place for medical professionals.

Now that I was with Alex, I couldn't leave her and little man. They were more critical than some jobs. I figure I could apply to someplace local. Hopefully, the waiting list wasn't too long.

I heard the front door open, shit, Alex's home. I hid the letter until I could dispose of it while Jacob sat on the bed watching me intently. I picked him up, and we went to greet our lady.

"Hi, baby," Alex said.

"Well, hello to you, too, sweet cheeks," I smirked.

She gave me a look along with an eye roll.

"I was talking to Jacob," Alex said.

"Oh, you know since Jacob is cute and all," I said casually. Alex laughed at my humor. God, I loved her laugh. Watching her deal with Jake's death was heartbreaking for me. She cried more than she laughed.

I gave her a kiss, "How was work?"

"Slow but only because mostly everyone left for the summer. It's okay; I have more than enough to carry us until everyone comes back. How was Jacob?" Alex asked.

"Oh, you know, went to the park, met some baby chick, flirted mindlessly with her. I swear the boy has no shame," I joked.

"Sounds like someone else I know," Alex said, giving me a look.

"The only chick I flirt with is Jacob's very sexy momma, who I get to wake up next to every morning," I said, flirty.

"Nice save," Alex said.

"I try," I reasoned.

"It's funny, Joe asked me what I planned on doing after I graduate," Alex mentioned.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"I was going to help run the coffee house since I am partners with Joe," she said.

"Sounds like a plan to me," I agreed.

"What about you?" Alex asked.

"What about me?" I asked.

"Don't you have to apply for an internship somewhere for your field?" Alex asked me.

"Oh that, pft, yeah, I figure I could apply to a few local places," I said casually.

"Okay," she said, smiling.

She kissed me and went into the bathroom. I crouched in front of Jacob. "Little man, I am in so much trouble."

He looked at me with those big blue eyes. If Alex ever found out I decided against U of M, she would kill me. Good thing, she will never know.

To continue in Landview: Seniors.