Back to normal

Life got back to normal somewhat. I started classes, and one of my friends took care of Jacob or Maggie did. Joe understood while I couldn't work while taking care of Jacob and school. Joe came over to see Jacob and me from time to time and promised I would always have a job waiting for me. I couldn't be more grateful.

The first week was a little rough. Okay, it was a lot of rough. The separation anxiety was horrible, but I dealt with it. Jacob took it all in stride. He was only three months old.

Things also got more interesting when I got a knock at the door while everyone was over with us.

Ryan answered it. A man was standing there.

"Can I help you?" Ryan asked.

He pulled out a piece of paper, "I'm looking for Alexandra Holland. Is she available?"

"Depends, who's asking?" Erik asked.

"Oh, forgive me, my name is Roger, and I'm Jake Holland's attorney," the guy said, extending his hand. Erik and Ryan looked at each other, then back at him.

I got up to see who's at the door. "Roger?"

"Hello Alex. Let me offer my condolences to you first," Roger offered.

"Thank you," I said.

"Second, I'm here on official business. Can I come in?" Roger asked.

"Sure," I answered, motioning Roger into the apartment.

I let him in even though the guys weren't happy about it. We took a seat, and Jacob was asleep in his bouncer.

We watched as he pulled out some papers.

"It seems Jake had everything transfer over into your name," Roger mentioned.

"What do you mean everything?" I asked.

"Well, the money, property, house, personal possessions, everything," he said.

I gave him a look, as did the others.

"And a trust for Jacob to access when he's twenty-five," Roger added.

"How much is Alex looking at here?" Erik asked.

"Five point six million," Roger answered.

We all choked on our drinks.

"Five point six million dollars?" Grace exclaimed.

"Yes," Roger answered Grace.

It shocked me. I didn't know what to say.

"I need your signature to complete everything," Roger said, handing me the paperwork and a pen.

"But I don't understand. Why did Jake do this?" I questioned utterly confused.

Roger looked at me. "I don't know. All I know is Jake called me early Saturday morning waking me up, which I wasn't happy about and said he needed papers drafted up. You didn't know?" Roger asked.

"No, we never discussed money," I answered, shaking my head.

"Well, Jake always thought ahead, especially with money," Roger reasoned.

I signed the papers, and Roger left. Once Roger files all the paperwork, the money and everything else would belong to me. It didn't matter to me. It wasn't Jake, and I needed him more than money.

I stood on my balcony, having a cup of coffee, taking everything in when Erik came out.

"You okay?" Erik asked.

"I don't know," I answered.

"Alex, maybe Jake wanted to make sure he took you to care of if something happens to him," Erik reasoned.

My headshot towards him. "Take care of me if something happens to him? Erik, Jake, left me all this money! I don't need it! I need Jake and for him to be here! To help raise our son! I couldn't care less about money! I want him!" I lost it. To lose someone is hard, but to know they thought they might die was even harder to understand.

Jake wouldn't have done this if he didn't think he was going to die, and that's what hurt the most.

Erik held me in his arms while I cried. I was so sick of crying and feeling broken. I wanted that door to open and in walks, Jake. Would I ever feel whole again? Honestly, I didn't know.

With the news of everything setting in and finally comprehending it, I didn't feel good about using the money. I had my own. I had Roger tuck it away, out of sight, out of mind. I had to deal with too many other things, such as missing Jake and falling in love with my two best friends.

Ugh, why me? My emotions were all over the place. I lay on my bed with my legs dangling off the side of it.

"Okay, so you have two hot guys that you can't decide on," Grace said, pacing back and forth.

"It's not even that. I don't want to ruin something between us. Plus, how would it look if people noticed? Oh, look, there's Alex, she couldn't wait for Jake to die so she could take all his money and jump her best friends," I said, rubbing my face in frustration.

Grace stopped and said, "Or not."

I sat up as she sat on the bed. "What am I going to do?"

"Have you talked to them?" Grace asked.

"And say what? Oh, thanks for comforting me, and oh, I may be in love with both of you. How is that fair to any of us?" I questioned.

"Well, when you put it that way," Grace said.

I stood up. "Grace, I have a past with Ryan, who, if I'm not mistaken, is still in love with me. Then there's Erik, who I'm not sure if he would feel that way about me," I said, tapping my chin.

"Yeah, right," she scoffs.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned.

"Nothing," Grace answered.

"Grace?" I looked at Grace questionably.

"It's nothing," Grace lied.

I gave her a look.

"Okay, fine, Erik may or may not be madly in love with you," she said cringing.

"What?" I exclaimed shocked.

"Alex, Erik has been in love with you since he first met you," she said sheepishly.

"What? How? Why?" I exclaimed. "Oh god, I'm so confused," I said, pacing around the room.

"Well, at least you know if you confess your love to Erik that he wouldn't turn you down," she said emphatically.

I stopped and looked at her. "You're not helping." I sat back down.

"At some point, choose, and one will get hurt," Grace reasoned.

"I know, and the worst part, who do I choose?" I asked.

"You'll figure it out. Give it time," Grace assured me.

Grace left, and I lay there in bed, thinking about things. How did I miss Erik's feelings for me? I mean, was I so blind that I didn't want to see them?

Then there was Ryan. We had such a rough past that it made me think, what if we got involved again? Would it be a repeat of what happened? Would I set myself up for more hurt? I was grieving over Jake. I didn't need to nurse more of a broken heart.

Then there was the fact Ryan comforted me when I needed that comfort, but seeing Erik with Jacob melted my heart. I didn't know what to do.

God, I need a drink right now.

I heard a knock at the door. I answered it, and Ryan held up a six-pack. "Care for a drink?" He asked.

I swear this guy was listening to my thoughts. Eh, what the hell? Jacob was asleep, and alcohol sounded great. I waved him into the apartment. What could happen with having a drink with one of my best friends who I may or may not be in love with now?