Chapter 2: Scripted

Just a reminder: All of this is my own ideas and I don’t appreciate plagiarism at all. I don’t anticipate a problem, just throwing it out there.

**********************************************************

//Script Format

[In the kitchen. Stephen at the stove, upstage, stage left. His guest is seated at a small two-person table downstage and to our left, stage right. Natural light floods in from a window stage right above the table, and shines on her drying hair. Stephen is busy cooking what seems to be an elaborate dish.]

STEPHEN.            Anything else I can get you?

WOMAN.               [Laughing] No, I think I’m good. I don’t even think I’m going to be able to eat all of what you’re making me now!

STEPHEN.            Well, you’re the one who asked for all of this. [He turns to her with a plate of pancakes. Four or five, but they’re each the size of a dinner plate.]

WOMAN.               [Smiles] This is way too much trouble just for me.

STEPHEN.            Don’t say that. You’re worth it. Besides, what’s a few dishes compared to having nothing to tell my friends later.

WOMAN.               [Slightly outraged] Um… What did you just say?

STEPHEN.            Like you said before, we didn’t do anything last night. When my friends ask me what happened last night, I don’t want to have to say “Oh, nothing. I was too plastered to function”. That sounds lame. But if I happen to throw in that I made you breakfast, then…

WOMAN.               That’s all this is to you?? [She stands, her body stiff with anger] Something you can retell later for your FRIENDS?

STEPHEN.            [Sighing] No. That isn’t all this is. But really, what are you planning on telling your girls when they ask?

WOMAN.               [Suddenly resigned] Oh. I guess I didn’t think of that.

STEPHEN.            [He sets down the pancakes and pulls her into a hug] So we’ll just make a big deal out of breakfast, okay?

WOMAN.               Fine. That doesn’t make what you said go away though.

STEPHEN.            Oh, I know.

[They stop talking for a while as Stephen places several plates down in front of the WOMAN. Along with the pancakes, he’s made a big bowl of scrambled eggs, and a big stack of toast, a plateful of bacon, and several kinds of fruit to choose from.]

STEPHEN.            Bon appétit.

WOMAN.               [Takes a spoonful of eggs and a couple pancakes] Stephen, do you remember what my name is?

STEPHEN.            [Cringes. That would be a big fat NO.] Well, um… You do recall saying I was too drunk for us to do anything last night, right?

WOMAN.               So that’s a no, then?

STEPHEN.            [Nods]

WOMAN.               I figured. I’m Kathleen, by the way.

STEPHEN.            That’s a beautiful name. A beautiful name for a beautiful woman.

[The WOMAN, a.k.a. KATHLEEN, blushes. Stephen smiles at her reaction. KATHLEEN begins to eat, but suddenly realizes that STEPHEN isn’t eating.]