Chapter 4

Harry Potter was now eleven years old. Technically, he had only been eleven for 3 minutes, but he was still eleven. He flopped down on the floor. Now what? He had stayed up late to witness his eleventh birthday, and now he couldn't fall asleep. His eleventh birthday was very important, because that was the birthday when his Hogwarts letter would arrive. But Hogwarts letters didn't arrive at midnight. He sighed and closed his eyes, imagining what his time at Hogwarts would be like. It would be wonderful! He would be in Gryffindor, like his parents, and have a group of kind, loyal friends, like his parents. Life would be -

"SURPRISE!!!!!" The door was flung open and James can sauntering in, Lily just behind him.

"Happy birthday!" James cried.

"Dad?! Mum?! What're you doing?" Harry demanded.

"Surprising you!!" James replied loudly.

"Shhhh," Lily said. "Let's not wake the whole neighborhood! Happy birthday, dear. I hope we didn't wake you up," she fretted.

"Mum, it is midnight, and you think you woke me up? Of course you did!" Harry teased.

"I'm so sorry! James wanted to surprise you, and I figured this was an important birthday - I'm really sorry!" 

"Mum, it's fine. You didn't wake me up. I was already up. Don't worry. I'm really happy you're here!" Harry soothed.

Lily relaxed. "What should I expect?" She muttered. "He is James's son after all."

James grinned. "That's my boy! Now, present time!"

"At midnight?" Harry asked.

"Can you think of a better time?" James demanded.

Harry just grinned and grabbed the first present off the floor. It turned out to be a book from his mum called Quidditch Through the Ages. "Thanks mum!" He exclaimed.

The other present was a note. It read:

Dear Harry, 

I'm afraid that you are going to have to wait for this present. I will give it to you on September 1st. Happy Birthday. 

 Love, Dad                                                                                                                                                                               

Harry looked up at his father, curiously. "What is it?" he asked.

James just smiled. "I guess you'll have to find out!"

Harry was eating breakfast when the owl came. It swooped in grandly, and dropped the letter in front of him. He picked it up, feeling excitement surge through him. This letter practically determined his future! 

"Mum!" he cried. 

Lily turned. "Yes?"

"It came!" Harry was grinning like crazy.

"James!" Lily called. James came sprinting into the room. 

"Yes?"

"My letter came!" Harry said happily.

"OPEN IT!!!" James shrieked, sounding a lot like an over excited child.

Beaming, Harry ripped open the letter.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and  WIZARDRY Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Scorer., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
Dear Mr. Potter,