Chapter 6

A blonde boy stood in the doorway. And not just any blonde boy. Draco Malfoy. Harry knew Malfoy, because his father and Malfoy's father had once gotten into a fight in Diagon Alley. He remembered the day clearly.

They were walking down Diagon Alley, when Lily asked to stop in Flourish and Blotts. The family popped in and Harry and James stood near the entrance, waiting for Lily. Harry spotted a book on Quidditch that looked interesting. He started toward the table, when he crashed into a blonde kid about his age.

"Watch where you're going!" The kid snarled. 

A man came up behind him. "Ah, there you are, Draco," he said. 

"He crashed into me!" Draco whined.

Lucius Malfoy turned slowly to Harry. "Harry Potter. What a- pleasant surprise. How dare you crash into my son."

Before Harry knew what was happening, Lucius had his wand pointed at Harry. Harry screamed, and James ran over, knocking Harry aside, and pointing his own wand a Lucius

Lucius laughed at James. "Awww," he said. "Daddy has come, Harry. Feel better?"

"Never point a wand at my son!" James shouted.

Lucius laughed again and fired a stunner at James, that just missed him. James responded with one of his own. The shopkeeper came over, yelling furiously at them to get out. As they left, Lucius hissed to James and Harry, "This is not over."

*End of flashback* 

Harry stared at Malfoy. Malfoy smirked.

"They were saying all down the train that Harry Potter was in this compartment," Malfoy commented. "We thought we'd come introduce ourselves, right boys?" He turned to burly boys behind him. "Anyway, I'm Draco Malfoy, and these are Crabbe and Goyle."

Ron snorted.

Malfoy turned to him. "You think my name is funny? No need to ask who you are. Red hair, hand me down robes and more children than they can afford, you must be a Weasley." He turned back to Harry. "You don't want to hang round things like the Weasleys. Some families are better than others, Potter. Perhaps spending some time in the real world will help you realize that. I can help you there." He held out his hand. 

Harry stared at it, then looked up at Malfoy. "I think I'd rather spend time with the better families," he said coldly. 

"I'd be careful, Potter. You don't want to go the same way as your dear grandmother. And I wouldn't hang 'round the Weasleys, it'll only make your social status worse."

"Say that again!" Ron's face was red with anger.

"Aw, ickle Weasley wants to fight, just like your idiot father," Malfoy smirked at Harry. "Are you going to fight too?"

"Unless you get out now," Harry snarled, trying to be braver than he felt.

"But we don't feel like leaving. We're hungry and we see that you still have some leftover candy."

Harry started forward, but something got there before he did. Goyle shrieked and lifted his finger, to reveal Scabbers, hanging on tight. Goyle swung his hand around and around, until Scabbers went flying, and hit the window. The three boys then left quickly.

Just after they left, Hermione Granger came back in. "What has been going on in here?" she exclaimed. 

Ron ignored her and went over to Scabbers. "I think he's been knocked out!" Ron said. He picked up his rat. "No, wait. I don't believe it. He's gone back to sleep." Ron rolled his eyes. "So, you've met Malfoy before?"