Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

He loved her – in more ways than one, he now understood. He had always known that he loved her as a family member, as his dearest friend, as the one person in the universe who would always be by his side...but could he ever love her as anything else? Would she ever want him to? Did he already?

Perhaps it was the flutes of champagne that the both of them had downed during the party that blurred their judgement slightly, or perhaps it was the heat of the moment. Either way, neither of them found themselves wanting to give any of it too much thought – more than anything, they both wanted to live in the moment, and think of the consequences, moral or emotional, after.

"Can I...can I kiss you?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

And she found herself nodding 'yes'.

***

THE DAY OF THE WEDDING WAS DRAWING NEARER. AND WHAT A marvellously grand affair it would be – for huge efforts had gone into preparations for it from all parties. Both Emmett and Victoria were deeply invested in planning for the ceremony. Emmeline insisted on helping the couple get the very best of everything – food, decorations, invitations, flowers, clothes... Bethany Rutherford was responsible for overseeing the decoration of the palace chapel, and she beamed with pride all the while. Both her niece and nephew had found respectable partners, and the grandeur of it all made her giddy. And she would be attending the wedding in her sister Anne's place!—The very thought of it made her want to dance.

The fathers William and David were temporarily living in the castle, along with Emmett and Victoria, for convenience's sake. They wished to assist others in the preparations, but usually found themselves at a loss about how they could be of any help or hindering operations instead, and mostly spent their time reading, discussing matters of the court, or on long walks around the palace grounds.

And everyone was, of course, having new clothes of the finest quality fitted for them, on Emmeline's decree. Victoria's wedding dress would be the most costly of all, and Emmett was determined to pay for it himself. Emmeline let him.

When the day of the ceremony finally fell upon them, the palace chapel was packed with guests. Victoria Arden found herself standing where Emmeline had not so long ago, her father by her side, preparing to change her name.

"I will miss you, my dear," he said, patting her hand. "The house will be so empty without you."

"Oh, Papa..." Her eyes prickled with tears. "How will you deal with Mother on your own?"

"I will manage, Victoria, I have for decades now." He chuckled. "I will admit, however, that life will certainly be less bearable without you. Who else will I take to the library every evening?"

"Delilah mentioned...she told me once that she wanted to come with us. You ought to take her, Papa, if you can." A tear slipped down her cheek, and though his own eyes were red, David looked alarmed.

"Now, now, don't cry, darling, you look beautiful and your makeup will be ruined." Fishing a handkerchief out from his pocket, he daubed gently at her eyes. "Don't cry. This is a wonderful occasion."

"I—I cannot imagine living away from you," she choked out. "You will be all the way in Westchester! And I will be in Portsmouth."

"Portsmouth is beautiful, my dear, have you not always loved the sea?"

"I know, and I have, but – but it is so far from you..."

"I promise to visit often," he said. "You are always welcome home as well."

"I know, I know, but..."

"Emmett Lockhart loves you dearly," he said, "and you love him also. You will be happy there, I promise. Marriages of love are a blessing unlike any other, Victoria, a blessing I never received. I hope you treasure it."

"I wish I could be with him without marrying!" she cried, and it was likely the most improper thing she had said all her life, with perhaps the exception of when she had rebuked her mother before her engagement party.

"Everyone must marry," he replied gently. "You are no exception, Victoria, it would pain me to see you a spinster. For if you never marry, who will take care of you when you are old and I have gone?"

"I know, I know all this." She sniffled. "I just wish..."

"Whatever you wish, my dear, I assure you I wish it even more. But let us not speak of it, it will only make this harder. And today should not be a day for grief."

"Oh, Papa, I love you."

"As I love you, my darling."

"I—" She was about to say something else when the doors to the nave opened, and she had to tighten her grip around her father's arm and walk through them.

She knew that her life would never be the same.

***

AND IT WAS NEVER THE SAME AGAIN. WHEN SHE ENTERED THE ROYAL ballroom for the party following her wedding ceremony that evening she was on her new husband's arm, not her father's, and she would likely never be presented to a crowd on her father's arm again. The crier announced their presence, addressing them as Earl Emmett Portsmouth and Lady Victoria Lockhart. All eyes turned to look upon the newlyweds, and instantly there was audible gushing about how lovely they looked together. When they went to greet the princess and their fathers, who were standing together in a nearby corner of the ballroom, Emmeline laughed at this, and was just about to tease her brother about it when her own husband appeared before her and whisked her away for a dance.

"Is Javier in attendance?" she asked him as they waltzed slowly.

"I don't believe so," he answered with a slight frown. "He feigned disinterest, but I reckon that he feels rather shunned. He is probably off drinking, as he tends to do whenever anything upsets him."

"Well, he had his chance with her," she sighed, "and unfortunately he chose to let her go – even when Lady Victoria was nearly on her knees begging."

There was some regret in his eyes as he nodded in agreement. "Indeed he did."

They would later find Javier missing, his horse gone from the stable, with nothing but a letter left behind. It would say that he was unhappy in the castle, in court, and that the wedding of the woman he still had some feelings for to another man had been the last straw for him. It would say not to look for him, that he would return home when he was ready to; that he was off to find himself again, to live a life that he loved. As Prince Alexander read the letter aloud, everyone in the room knew instantly that it meant that he was likely headed toward academic study; but no one said anything, for no one intended to go after him. He needed time to find peace and perhaps even happiness, and they all knew it.

But in that moment none of it mattered, because none of it was known unto them yet. Princess Emmeline looked over at her brother and his fiancée, both of whom looked absolutely enamoured with one another. She smiled lightly – her brother looked so happy. Then she looked into her husband's eyes and felt his arms around her, so reassuring, so full of love. Things were finally settling down, and she was glad for it. She'd had enough melodrama in the past year or so to last her a lifetime.

***

Hey everyone! I'm a little emotional right now because this is the second last update on Apollo. I would start talking about how grateful I am for all the love this story has received – and I am super grateful! – but that, I think, is better saved for the Afterword. So, as always, vote, comment, and share this story...and for the last time, till next Friday! *escapes to a corner to cry*