Chapter Twelve

A/N So sorry this is late!!! I hadn't even noticed Friday had gone by! Either way, I won't keep you any longer – enjoy the chapter! :)

"WELCOME, DUKE MAYFAIR. WELCOME, EARL PORTSMOUTH. HIS GRACE IS in the main drawing room. I have been told to show you the way."

The footman led the father and son through the main door, down a hallway and into a lavish room, where he bowed and drew away from them. The ceiling was higher than that of Wellington House's drawing room, and the rest of the room twice as bright. Everything seemed to be made of gold – a gold chandelier hung from the ceiling and gold sconces adorned the walls. The wallpaper was golden, and wooden parts of furniture were rendered a refined look with intricate golden inlay (detailing Bethany Rutherford would have loved). On the wall there was a portrait of a lady encased in a gold frame – she was far younger in the painting, but Emmett recognised her by her dark hair, dark eyes and alluring manner as the duchess Georgeanne. All the cloth cushion coverings were at least partly woven with golden thread. The whole room seemed to shine – it was certainly very expensive.

Contrasting starkly with it all was David Arden sitting in one armchair with a book. Dressed in a simple but smart grey suit, he was reading what Emmett recognised as a Jane Austen novel. Emmeline did also love reading those when she could. Their father, along with most men and a good many ladies, thought badly of books such as Austen's, but Emmett himself thought that they were good for women. They encouraged them to be brave and autonomous, in the very way he had always wanted his sister to be. Even if they did not, however, how much could a good love story hurt a woman's mind?

"Ah, William, Earl Portsmouth!" Duke Westchester greeted hurriedly, standing from his seat once he noticed their presence. "Welcome!"

"Call my son Emmett, David, I fail to see any need for formality between the two of you," Duke Mayfair replied smilingly.

"Well, how interesting – only last week at the ball your daughter asked that I call her by her given name, as well."

William laughed. "My daughter has never been one to stand on ceremony with any individual, with quite a lack of regard for status. Personally I reserve the use my first name for my closest friends and family, although I do not object to you addressing Emmeline by hers."

He smiled. "You Lockharts are wonderful people, William, truly."

"Well, the children must have inherited their amicability from Anne," he replied. "You know how she was like."

"Yes – without a shadow of a doubt, Lady Anne was the finest woman I have ever known."

"And the best person I have ever come upon."

Emmett stiffened beside him. Despite mostly having forgiven his father, his mother remained a sensitive topic he did not particularly enjoy discussing. Sensing his discomfort, David was quick to intervene.

"Would you fancy anything to eat, or drink?"

"Tea will suffice, thank you," William responded.

The finest tea in the house was sent for immediately, and Duke Westchester turned to smile at the youngest man of the three.

"So, Emmett, tell me about Portsmouth. If we are to concretise our relations, I must find out more about it."

"Of course," he replied eagerly, and began providing the duke with a thorough description of the earldom: its large population, its bustling trade, its amiable relations with other territories...most noblemen had, over the years, proved more than willing to form political alliances and trade ties with Portsmouth. It lay near the coast, and had much to offer in fish and salt. Its industrious and entrepreneurial people was another valuable asset. Literacy rates were high, and most were engaged in honest work, earning good money. Militarily, its strong ties to the dukedom of Mayfair meant that it was backed by William Lockhart's strong army, independent of the Crown, a very attractive factor to most other territories vulnerable to the whims and woes of the monarch.