12

I am petrified as I watch a man in an ironed black suit and bright red tie enter the stage. He looks strangely happy, and I am reminded of the Preacher Man sitting to the left of me. My heart's pace refuses to slow down.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls: I am pleased to present to you the show of Scottinsdale. Many of you have heard, but not yet seen, a show quite like this. The actors have worked very hard to put on a good performance for you all, and I am excited to announce some new members to The Hallow!"

It is as if I am taken back in time. To a time when Oldtown had its first name, when people actually resided here, before it became a horrific reality instead of normal living.

Recognizable music begins to play. Its intro drags on and on as people move props on and off of the stage. Finally, the woman with the dolls begins singing a creepy tune—a jingle to go along with the horrors of The Hallow.

♪They skipped along, they walked along, they fell into the Hallow.

      They were found, put in the ground, welcome to the Hallow.

      Look behind, and don't be blind, for you are being followed.

      If you're brave, then walk the graves, but don't trip in the Hallow. . . ♪

As they sing the short song repeatedly, I begin to notice something. The actors are replaying all of the events that lead up to this exact moment. From the moment Maddy, Alex, Jace, Leighton, Carson, Jasmine, and I arrived to the campground, Alex's murder, Carson's burial, Jasmine's murder, the surrounding of clowns upon trying to run away, Leighton's capture and torture, and finally this moment. When I discover all of this I grow more fearful about what is going to happen in the moments to come.

The lights begin to flicker, and Jace laughs hysterically as the clowns close in on the female character; the lights are flashing; a knife is pulled; she is staring at all of her dead friends; memories flood her mind; and finally the lights shatter leaving the theater in a pool of darkness. Then all that is heard is a blood curdling scream.

I try to stand and run, but I cannot move my body. My heart is jumping out of my chest, and my voice has left me. Breathing has become a chore, and my legs are cemented to the ground. The screaming won't stop. I try to shake my head to get rid of the noise. I continuously scream, "stop!" in my mind, but nothing is working. It is then that something grabs me by the throat and drags me out of my seat. My eyes shoot open at a terrifying sight. Leighton is taller, stronger, more powerful than I remember. Jace continues laughing as Leighton drags me out of the theater. I attempt to say his name, but my voice is gone. Air is quickly running low.

Leighton throws me on the ground, and I hear the sound of my head colliding with pavement. I open my eyes to complete darkness, but all I can see is white. I gasp for breath and try to sit up, but get kicked down again. With blurry vision I see Jace, Jaja, and the Preacher Man exit Housen's Theatre. A voice speaks German to Leighton, and he responds with a voice I do not recognize.

Suddenly someone grabs me by the underarms and drags me down the road. By this time I am finally able to scream.

The two women singing on stage soon appear in my head and begin singing a sweet tune that is nothing short of terrifying.

♪Come little children,

I'll take thee away. . . into a land of enchantment.

Come, little children; the time's come to play.

Here in my garden of magic.

Follow sweet children, I'll show thee the way. . .

Through all the pain and sorrows.♪

The noises drown my ears, and I feel my body slowly grow numb. In a matter of minutes I am limp, and cannot move a muscle. Alex's murder scene, Jasmine's death, and the show put on in the theater play over and over in my mind until I finally black out.

"Just kill me," I plead. "Get it over with and kill me already."

I feel a hot breath on the nape of my neck, and a chuckle in my ear. A familiar voice speaks to me, and I do not need to open my eyes to know who it is.

"Oh, sweet Madelyn. That would take all the fun out of the game."

A lump grows in my throat as my lungs fail me. I open my eyes to Darcy's smiling face, and for a moment I believe that this was all just a dream. But I was wrong. . .dead wrong.

A/N:

'The Hallow' tune/poem was written by me personally, but 'Come Little Children' was written by Sarah Jessica Parker. The song was sung by Erutan in 2013. I take no credit for this poem/song in any way, shape, or form. I am simply using it for entertainment purposes.