10

Carson

The sound of dirt forces me into panic again. The noises had stopped for a few moments; I thought I had some time to try and get out of here, but I was wrong. I can't tell if more weight is being added, or if it is being removed.

"Please, breathe, breathe, Carson. Breathe. Someone's coming." I let out another deep breath and try my hardest to keep my panicking to a halt. It's getting extremely hot. The longer the sounds proceed, the louder they seem to become. The closer they seem to get.

I begin to pant, using up the rest of the air I had been granted. I hear my name being called, but it soon turns into muffled white noise. My eyes open and close repeatedly, and my vision grows blurry. I try to call back, but my voice does not work. Between each blackout I hear my name louder and louder, and soon a breeze seeps into the coffin, but by then . . . .

Darcy

By the time I yank the coffin lid open and jump into the hole, Carson is blacked out. He is burning up and covered in sweat. I yell his name once again and try my best to wake him up. I lift his torso to make him sit up, but he is still out. I try to drag him out of the hole, but he is too heavy.

"Carson, Carson please. I'm here. I'm here, okay? Wake up for me. Wake up please."

I place my mouth over Carson's and try my best to resuscitate him. I push on his chest repeatedly, then breathe into his mouth. After minutes upon minutes of trying, Carson finally gasps for air. I cry hard and hug him tight to my chest.

"Look. . .look out." Carson's heavy voice coos gently. I look up just in time to see the same clown standing over us with an axe in his hand. His creepy smile forces my heart out of my chest. He raises the axe, and I pull Carson and I as close to the other side of the grave as I can; just missing the impact. The clown then disappears and I stare at the axe in shock.

"We have to get out of here, okay? We have to get out of here and we have to go now, alright, Carson, you have to work with me."

"I feel weak." Carson mumbles.

"I know, but you have to do it. You have to come with me. I'll get you to safety, but we have to do it together."

I pull Carson up and force him to stand. His weight is still heavy against me, but he stands well enough on his own. His pale skin makes me nervous, but I try not to pay attention to it.

I climb out of the grave, then reach my hands down to pull Carson up. He hands me the axe and I keep it close to me as he climbs. His feet slip on the damp dirt and he falls a couple times, but I eventually manage to get him out. I retrieve the axe and keep it close to my side as I use the other side of my body to support Carson's weight. We then walk back toward Oldtown.

I look around to make sure no one is near, and contemplate if I should get us out of here, or put Carson somewhere safe and try to find the others.

Carson and I manage to walk over to the garden by the schoolhouse. I sit him in the darkest area I can find, hoping it would be safe enough for him to stay until I return.

"If you see something, there's a hole right here," I point to the large, dark hole in the side of the school. "I want you to hide in it if you don't feel safe, okay? And I want you to stay here until I come back with the others."

Carson nods, obeying my orders. Feeling content, I leave him there. I hear screaming and a music box jingle which makes me more nervous and scared. I walk around to the front of the schoolhouse and the brightness leaking out of the doorframe and windows tells me that something is going on inside. I hear heavy panting from inside and gain a sliver of hope.

I peek into the schoolhouse from the window closest to me. There are candles lining the two longer sides of the room, and on one of the tables sits an old music box. There is a small toy clown spinning around on it. A horrid stench seeps from the schoolroom and I press my sleeve to my nose to temporarily block it out. I look around more and see the dead body of a little boy with a pumpkin head. I then look up and see Maddy and Jasmine seated on a wall with their hands and legs tied so tight they are turning red and yellow.

I duck down and turn my back so that I am leaning against the schoolhouse and try to come up with a plan. I pick up the axe and hold it in both hands, then look around to see if anyone is coming. I then jog over to the statue of an angel across from the church and slam the axe into it repeatedly, making as much noise as possible. I then throw the axe at the church window and run back to the schoolhouse.

"Darcy? Oh my God!" Maddy's cries for help give me an adrenaline rush, and I try to work as quickly as possible to free both her and Jasmine before anyone catches us. I get Maddy's ties undone, and just as she moves to hop out of the chair and onto the ground, an arrow is shot and hits Jasmine between the eyes.

"Run." she says just before she dies. Maddy and I cry and stare at our friend's deceased body in shock. I shake my head and pull Maddy's arm as to drag her away towards the door.

"We have to go, Maddy. Now, come on!" We begin running, and Maddy falls down the stairs on the way out of the schoolhouse. There are more clowns now surrounding the premises, closing in on us. They each have a different type of weapon in their hands, and as I look up, I see the preacher man directing their movement. He pushes both hands out into the air flat, and the clowns come to a halt. The man pushes one hand down slowly, and the clowns drop their weapons simultaneously.

"You're one smart girl, Darcy Simmons." The preacher man calls. "My men are very impressed by you." I look around in worry at all of the clowns and feel my legs grow weak from fear. Maddy holds onto my arm tight, still crying.

"You managed to save two of your friends without hurting or killing yourself. You have one more mission: find the last boy."

"What about Leighton? Where is he?" I call out, my voice shaking. The preacher man pushes his arms out to his sides, and the clowns lift their weapons from the ground and scatter elsewhere. "He is my star pupil," the man says. "I have Ichvel working on him." The man then disappears out of sight, and Maddy and I are left alone once again.

"You have to go somewhere safe. This is a trap." I tell my cousin, who is still in a state of shock from watching her best friend die. "Maddy! Do you hear me? You have to listen to me!" I pull her again, and we run to where I had hidden Carson.

"Carson. Are you okay?" Maddy quickly kneels at his side. Carson smiles wide and places his hand weakly on Maddy's cheek. "I'm okay. I'm—are you okay? Where's Jas?" Maddy and I look at each other, then Carson with remorse. "Oh. . ." He trials off.

"Stay here, okay. You have to stay here and you can't move." I order. Maddy nods and leans into Carson's side. I tell her what I had told Carson about the hole to hide in, and she cooperates. "Darcy, you should stay here with Maddy. Let me go." I shake my head. "No. You're too weak. You have to stay here. Just trust me, okay? I'll be right back." I then turn around and run in another direction.

The large clock in the center of the abandoned town reads half past twelve. It makes a loud bell noise, and I jump. I have one thing left to do. Jace and Leighton are still missing.