I was happy. I was sad. What was happening to me? I was not on my menstrual cycle. Why were my hormones behaving erratically, wiping away all rational action?

Of course, it was the blood bond. That was the culprit. My body knew and recognized the blood circulating in his veins as my own. And, my reactions were unavoidable. It was nothing but my love for myself. Samuel was going on a blood diet. I would tell him. That was that.

I adopted a turtle speed pace, tapping my foot like a cane to feel where I was going.

I soon felt somebody else's presence. Heard footsteps. Heard the crunching of grass a few steps away from me. Was he back?

Nope, it was a female's voice. I fought back the disappointment.

"Hi, I'm Nora. I'd like to help you walk to the Mansion."

Great! The pompous ass had sent help.

Who was I kidding? That was thoughtful. He wasn't really that bad, was he? Nope, I just couldn't decide. He was such an enigma, and I was drawn to many different directions in my thinking. My brain wanted to keep away, my heart wanted to befriend him, and my damn hormones wanted to... Nope, I wasn't going there. If I didn't say it, it would not be true. I promised myself: No more thinking about the Vampire King.

I walked much faster holding Nora's elbow. When we entered through the heavy door, I was reminded that once more, I was in his lair.

"Thanks, Nora. Please take her to one of the guest rooms."

"Not until, I get my cane back from Alessandro." I didn't want to be reliant on anyone while I was staying. I loved my independence. I loved my cane.

"He is not here! When will you get it to your brain?" Samuel snapped. "Now, I will have to find and save him. I don't have a minute to waste on your damn cane!"

"Uhm..." Nora interrupted. I caught the uncertainty in her tone. "He's actually here."

"What?" Samuel said.

"I told you so! Know your vamps better than you!" I replied. I loved throwing that in his face. He wanted me to feel guilty about Alessandro's disappearance. He wanted me to feel dumb about my obsession with my cane. I wasn't falling for any of that.

Now, take that Samuel!

"He came while you were gone," Nora explained.

"Alessandro!" shouted Samuel. He kept shouting until Alessandro came down the stairs.

"Yeah? What's up"

"What's up?" Samuel repeated, his tone chillingly cold. "Would you mind telling me why you left Diana alone, unprotected?"

"She was safe," he said. "It felt like I was suffocating in that house. I needed to get out."

"Do you have my cane?" I intervened.

"Yes. Up in my room."

Really? That's all he was going to say? No apology, no explanation? The vampires learned their manners from the best, of course. Why did I expect them to be different than their leader?

"Give the damn cane to her. It seems I have to do everything by myself! I can't trust anyone anymore," Samuel said. "What has gotten into you?"

I didn't need to hear anything else. I gladly took Nora's hand as she took me to my room. All would be fine.

The door knocked half an hour later when I was taking a shower.

"Hi, I have your cane," Nora shouted from the other side of the door.

"Just put it next to my bedside," I said.

I let the water run on my face. Hmm...I needed to wash all the dust from my face, my body. I scrubbed harder, making sure my skin had no alien substance clinging to it. I wasn't taking any chances with the dust monster.

I wrapped a towel around my body and threw myself in bed. My fingers found the cane, seeking safety in its familiarity. But, I sprang in bed, dropping the cane loudly on the floor.

This was not my cane. Yes, its shape was the same, its thickness and length were all familiar. Even the carving on the handle was there, the letter D, I had put over there when I was just a kid. That's the day my cane had become part of my life for good and bad.

"Uhm, can you fetch my cane ?" I had asked Samuel a day after he'd saved me from falling down the cliff. Asking that had been difficult for me. I had put my pride aside. But he was super strong. He was a vampire. He was invincible. He could do it. "You mean down the cliff? Are you nuts?" he'd raged. "Yeah," I'd answered, fearing his refusal. "It's just a cane! It's replaceable." That's what he'd thought. That's what everybody thought. He was not going to do it. The realization had been bitter. I had felt the tears rush to my eyes. Had turned around. Had swallowed the grief.

But.....he'd climbed down that treacherous cliff, found my cane dangling from the tree, and saved it. Like he'd saved me. He'd done it grudgingly. Unwillingly. And, he'd complained about it for days to come. But, he'd done it.

I wanted my cane. That cane.

This was not it. What game was Alessandro playing?

Hope you enjoyed it.

Alena