Chapter 2: The past is made clear

“Okay, now what is it?”

            Daniel goes to shut the door and check that no one is home.

            “The reason you were told it’s a closed adoption is because you parents gave you up to protect you.”

            I look at him confused.

            “What do you mean?”

            “You parents are Emily and Kane Clarke.”

            “Who in the world are they?”

            Daniel looks at me with a cheeky grin.

            “Exactly! No one knows.”

            “Then how do you know?” By now I’m extremely confused! Why was Daniel telling me who my parents were as if I should of known who they were?

            “Because, look at this.” Daniel hands me one of the pieces of paper.

            It’s a news article.

            The first one is from 1996, the year after I was born.  It read:

October 3rd, 1996

Family Disappeared

Local FBI agents Emily and Kane Clarke have disappeared with their newborn daughter, Lucinda.  The family are thought to have run away after Emily gave birth in fear of their lives.  Notorious serial killer Jason Brown, known in the media as the vampire slayer, was under extreme investigation.  Brown was hunted down and murdered by the government.  However, after his death, authorities discovered they had killed the wrong man and Brown was still on the run.  The Clarkes are thought to have known this information and gone into independent hiding in fear of their lives.  Little is known about theirs or Browns whereabouts but if you have any information, please contact local police.

            I look up from the screen in horror.

            “So, my parents ran for their lives?”

            “It seems that way.”

            “October 3rd, that’s the day after my birthday.  It seems like it adds up, but it can’t be true!”

            “Lucy, they had your name and everything! The day after your birthday they disappear.  No one knows where they are, especially where their daughter is.”

            My eyes fill up with tears again.

            “There’s something else you need to see too…” Daniel tells me looking worried.

            “What?” I say in between sobs.

            “Here…” Daniel turns over to the other article.

December 8th, 1996

Bitter End

Two bodies have been discovered on a local farmer’s lake.  The bodies look like they have been dismembered and burnt.  The height of these bodies makes authorities think that they are the bodies of missing FBI agents, Emily and Kane Clarke.  Unfortunately, there is no way to tell who these bodies belong to as there is no DNA left to take and no teeth to check dental records.  The question that is leaving the police confused, is if these are the bodies of Emily and Kane, where is the body of their 2 month old child, Lucinda.  The question still remains where these 3 people still are.  If anyone has any information about Emily, Kane or Lucinda Clarke, please contact local police.

            “But we still have no proof to if I’m the Lucinda in this article.”

            Daniel stares at me.  I know this stare.  He does it when there is something else I need to know.

            “What?”

            “That’s not the only article…”

            I look at him.  What could he possibly be keeping from me?

            “There is an article on the net.  It was published last week…”

            Daniel goes downstairs and comes back up with his laptop.

            He opens it and the article is sitting there already.  Obviously Daniel had planned on showing me this today anyway.

            I pull the laptop closer.

May 20th, 2012

Case Closing

The case that has baffled our government for nearly 16 years is coming to a close.  The FBI have given up trying to discover what happened to their most prized agents, Emily and Kane Clarke, and their daughter, Lucinda.  Police are still accepting any leads up until June 1st.  If anyone has any information on these people, please contact local police.

            Daniel sits there looking at me.

            “Wouldn’t you want to make sure that you’re the missing daughter of two of the most valued FBI agents in this country?”

            I feel the tears well up in my eyes again.

            “Come here” Daniel moves closer to give me a hug.

            I burst out in tears.

            “Look, I’ve already contacted the police, they are actually coming around in ten minutes to speak to me.  I think you should stay.  You always say you want to know what happened to your real family and who they are.  What if Emily and Kane Clarke are your parents?  I just want you to have what you want so you can be happy.”

            “What if it is them Daniel?  Then I know that they are dead and I’ll never get the chance to ask them stuff about my family and me.  Like, where they got my name from, or what my grandparents were like.  That stuff is what I want to know.  I don’t think I can do this…”

            Daniel hugs me tighter.  “Yes you can.  I’ll be with you the entire time.  I promise!”

            I begin to cry even more.

            KNOCK KNOCK!

            “That will be them,” Daniel pushes me away and stands up.  He holds out his hand to me.

            I take his hand and try to smile.

            We walk downstairs.

            I go and sit in the kitchen while Daniel answers the door.

            I can’t understand what they are all saying.  It’s all muffled.

            Suddenly their voices became clearer and they walked into the kitchen.

            There were two men in suits.  They were obviously from the FBI.

            One was tall and skinny.  His hair was greying at the sides and he wore glasses.  On his right cheek he had a scar in the shape of a diamond, I assumed it was from a job that had gone wrong.

            The other was short.  He had an athletic build and his arms were quite large.  He had blonde hair and seemed quite young.  He only seemed around my age.

            “Lucinda?”

            I looked up and saw the tall one talking to me.

            “My name is Corey Wren.  This is Dylan Austin.  We have some information on who you really are”

            I felt shocked, angry, upset and a whole range of other emotions.  Most of them made no sense to the situation.  But finally, I was getting what I always wanted.  Some answers as to who I was.  Even if it made me angry.