"Awww... why not?"

I shook my head in defeat. "Because I don't know how."

Colin jumped to his feet and stared at me in horror. "What? How can that be possible?"

A hand pressed down on my shoulder, and I flinched before I realized it was Link.

"What's Colin shocked about?" he asked.

"I don't know how to play any card games."

"What?"

I smiled, I couldn't help it. They were both so cutely indignant. Colin at my lack of knowledge, and Link at my parents. I raised a hand to meet his on my shoulder. "Well, I suppose you could fix that."

"I have little choice," he began. "Card playing is a part of life here," he finished as he sat down next to me.

Colin looked gleeful. "You're both gonna play with me?" he asked. "Awesome!"

But before Colin could even attempt to shuffle, a bell rang.

I flinched again at the sudden noise, and Link put his hand on my knee.

"It's the dinner bell. Breakfast must be ready."

I glanced down at his hand, finding it reassuring. "Breakfast?" I repeated. "Isn't it a bit late for that?"

"We have a later one because people are usually arriving from a long drive. Even though they've already eaten they are hungry again before lunchtime. So hence the second breakfast for everyone."

I nodded. "Makes sense..."

"Are you?" he asked.

"What, hungry?" I asked, and when he nodded I continued. "Yeah, a little bit."

Link stood up and offered his hand. I took it and he pulled me to my feet.

We both went to the counter. Colin's parents met him there, and Uncle Daruk was already sitting. Paya and Aryll were with their grandma behind the counter, still dishing up plates of food for everyone. The only new face that I saw was a short, young faced girl with a pixie cut.

I nudged Link and asked about her.

"That's my Aunt Saria."

"Your aunt? She looks younger than you."

"Yeah, and she's looked like that for awhile. She hasn't grown a centimeter for a very long time."

"How short is she?"

"Under five feet." He shrugged. "I haven't exactly measured her."

I chuckled and sat down next to Link at the counter.

"What would you like Zelda?" Aryll asked.

"Uh-" I looked at the counters, my eyes widening. There was so much food. "I'll have some bacon and eggs... and a pancake?" I replied.

Link's sister smiled. "Coming right up!" She used tongs and grabbed some bacon and a pancake, then spooned some eggs onto the side. "There's syrup, butter, and salt and pepper right there," she said, pointing with her free hand at several places on the counter, then slid the plate to me. "Want anything to drink?"

"Uhm..."

"We've got water, orange juice, coffee-"

"Coffee," I interrupted quickly. "Always coffee."

Aryll grinned. "You fit in just nicely here. What do you take?"

"Just a black americano, iced."

She raised an eyebrow.

Link laughed. "I know, I was surprised too."

Aryll smiled and shook her head. "And you, Link?"

"Sure, I'll take a coffee."

Aryll didn't ask how he wanted it, and she dished up his breakfast plate without any prompting and gave it to him before scampering away.

"... I love your sister, Link," I said, my cheek resting on my fist as I looked at him.

Link chuckled, and he wore a bright smile. "I'm glad. She's quite the ray of sunshine. Not exactly a stereotypical teen."

I had only bit into a piece of bacon before Aryll was back with both coffees. The cup she set in front of me had the words 'Praise Hylia' written on the front. I turned it around and saw that the back read 'She gave us coffee.'

I almost choked on the bacon but managed to swallow it with the help of Hylia's great gift.

~*~
(A/N)

Wow, my week flew by. With work, writing, editing, and Inktober, I've been busier than I think I've ever been. It's good though. I haven't pushed myself like this in a long time. I'm tired, and I have an even busier weekend coming up, but sometimes busy can be good. Regardless of how tiring.

I don't know about you, but when I'm busy, it's far less likely that I'll fall back into depression.

I've never had it that bad, and I know a lot of you have had it worse than me... But talking about it does make it less of an incurable problem. We don't have to fight alone. Don't keep it in the dark. Depression is a real thing, and it makes it hard to do anything. You have to move through your normal day like you aren't struggling.

A lot of people don't understand... but that's their problem,

You are not alone.

I hope this chapter brought you happiness