Monday 3 March

Somewhere in this school The Quarterback is going about his daily business. I have no idea what this is but it probably includes cruising the halls absorbing the adoring looks thrown at him from all quarters, tormenting the occasional overweight sophomore, charming teachers into giving him homework extensions, doing press-ups and writing obscene graffiti in the bathroom. Whatever it is, it used to have nothing to do with me but now it appears that one of his daily activities is texting me. I am in another part of the school; it could be another world for all intents and purposes, going about my daily business. I know all too well what this is. It tends to involve keeping my head down and getting on with what is required with the minimum of fuss. But my phone vibrates in my pocket and the two worlds collide. Somewhere in school he has just typed the words ‘I miss u’ into his brand new iPhone G3S (Black) and they appear on the scratched screen of my bottom-of-the-range Nokia. I never dared save his number into my phone but I know it’s him because he said these very words to me when he called me last night. “I miss you,” he said and I hung up on him.

I need to get on with my assignment now. It’s due in tomorrow.