Sunday 17 February

I woke up this morning with a positive attitude and the determination to Get On With My Life. I was determined to suppress a certain feeling, one that went with the fact that it was Sunday. All of a sudden Sundays have taken on a certain significance, one that I am determined to exorcise. I started with some Yoga exercises (after digging out a long abandoned yoga mat) then made Dad breakfast – waffles, eggs, bacon, freshly ground coffee, the works. He was a bit surprised but gamely worked his way through the enormous pile of food. Then I finally finished reading ‘Catch 22’ AND immediately wrote a book report and posted it on my English class’s blog. Then because the sun came out, I went out into the yard, considered exposing some skin but decided that was a step too far, and mowed the lawn instead, listening to my ‘Upbeat’ playlist which has been somewhat neglected of late. I got so into ‘Walking on Sunshine’ that I didn’t hear the car pulling up. God knows how long he had been standing there by the time I saw him. I should have done the immature thing and just pretended not to have seen him but instead I promptly stopped all activity, froze on the spot and gawked at him with my mouth unattractively open. He was leaning on his car, arms crossed, in his usual insouciant manner. I took the earphones out. "What are you doing here?”

“Don’t mess me around. I have a bitchin’ hangover.”

I nervously looked back at the house. I really did not want my Dad to see him here.

“Are you getting in?”

I just stood there, deciding whether to be difficult or not. "OK.” It really was that simple. He barks, I jump. And, Dear Diary, you are the only person on earth I will admit that to.

When I got back a couple of hours later, Dad gave me a really funny look. Apparently Stu called round while I was gone and neither of them could work out where I might have disappeared to. I mumbled something about walking round the block but wasn’t exactly convincing. At least he hadn’t seen The Quarterback; at least I thought he hadn’t. Maybe he was testing my honesty. Now I have something else to worry about. Am I ever going to get any peace?