Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

She shook her head, refusing to think he was having an affair with Frederick's mother! Was that the reason he turned her down, because he was attracted to older women?! Did he find Chloe attractive?! Was he interested in Chloe because of her wealth?!

Knowing if she stood there for a second longer, she'd crumble in her grief, she took the last stair and began making her way to her bed chamber.

“Ellie!”

She heard her name as she practically stumbled towards her room, barely able to see past her teary vision.

“Ellie!” Bailey grabbed her arm, pulling her against himself.

She shoved him back. “Unhand me!” She yelled, her voice breaking. “You will stay away from me! Far away!” She cried, turning to face her bed room door. She pushed it open and walked in. She tried to slam the door in his face but he was stronger as he reach forward and pushed it open, giving himself access to it.

Elizabeth opened her mouth to speak but he held her wrist and pulled her against himself once more. Lowering his head, he captured her lips.

A part of her wanted to push him away, but the majority part wanted to melt into his arms. She was tired, she thought, as she instinctively leaned into him. She was tired of her world of lies and deceit and she desperately needed to feel something other than the pain of betrayal that threatened to cripple her. Her hands traveled the length of his chest, before coming to settle on his cheek as she closed her eyes. The warmth of his lips pressed against hers, traveled through her entire body.

“I cannot,” He whispered as he pulled away slightly. “I cannot leave you.”

Elizabeth stared into his eyes, searching for any sign of deceit. She wanted to believe Bailey, but she didn't even know if she could. Everybody had lied to her so far.

“I won't leave you.” He said.

“But you did, you left me.” She said. He had walked away from her the night she came to him.

“Ellie...” Bailey's eyes clouded. As Elizabeth stared into his eyes, she realized that he pitied her.

She shook her head, taking a step away from him. “Perhaps you feel sorry for me, Bailey. Perhaps you blame yourself for my marriage to Frederick; a man who is most likely bedding my friend.” She wrapped her arms around herself, all of a sudden, feeling lonely. It was difficult to admit it, but she was alone. “It is not your fault.” She swallowed, taking another step to the door. Pulling it wide open, “You should go back to tending to Lady Chloe's needs.”

“Ellie...”

She turned away from him. “My name is Lady Elizabeth Wellington. This is the name you will call me and until you are summoned, you will stay away from me.”

Afraid she'd break down in tears, she focused her gaze on the marbled floor as she waited for Bailey to exit her bed chamber. When he finally left, she slammed the door behind him, and fell to her knees and wept until she fell asleep right there on the floor.

~ ~

Ethan pushed himself to a sitting position. Turning to the side and not finding Gretchen asleep on the bed, his eyes immediately scanned the dimly lit room but found nothing. He climbed down the bed and began making his way out of the bed room door in search of her when his eyes caught sight of her blue night coat.

Standing in the balcony with her elbows leaning on the railings and her eyes focused on the night sky, Gretchen seemed lost in her thoughts and unfortunately, Ethan knew it was due to her concerns for Elizabeth. Not only had Gretchen been depressed since Elizabeth left, she had been withdrawn since he practically forbad her from going to try to bring Elizabeth back. At first, she had disregarded his instructions but when it began to take a toll on her health and most likely the baby, she agreed to his instruction.