Chapter Twenty Five

Elizabeth barely got any sleep that evening with her mind occupied with the horrors of Frederick's abuse and Bailey's injuries. She tossed and turned in bed until the first crack of dawn.

Deciding there was no point in trying to fall asleep, she made her way out of her newly assigned room, thanks to Gary. At least, last night's abuse had earned her something; Gary's loyalty and promise to have her marriage to Frederick annulled. In spite of the physical and mental pain she was experiencing, she felt a small shiver of excitement race down her spine at the thought of being away from Frederick forever.

However, her joy was short lived. For with the thought of divorce came the knowledge that she was alone. There was no home to return to -at least she no longer considered the Williams' estate to be home- and there was almost no chance of finding her mother. She knew she could try to find Elaine but even that seemed like a hopeless case.

Tucking a stray strand of her black lock behind her ear, she made her way to Bailey's room and pushed the door wide open. A loud sigh of relief escaped her lips when she saw Bailey standing and struggling to button his shirt. He turned his attention to her and his cheeks immediately turned red.

"Lady Wellington," He said, hurrying to finish with his buttons.

Elizabeth covered the distance that stood before them, reached forward and began unbuttoning his shirt. Bailey watched her but didn't argue. Taking captive of his hand, she led him to the bed and practically shoved him back down, before taking his shirt off completely and flinging it aside.

"You should know better than to try to get back to work with that much damage done to your body." She scolded, a frown settling on her face even if everything in her wanted to reach out and wrap him in her arms.

"You shouldn't be here." He turned briefly to the closed door, before turning back to her. "Lord Frederick..."

Elizabeth settled beside Bailey, unwilling to engage in a conversation with Frederick in it. Other than the fact that she hadn't laid her eyes on Frederick since the night before when he stormed past her, she didn't care to ruin her morning by talking about him.

She reached forward and touched Bailey's face. "You should know that Lord Wellington has agreed to annul my marriage to his grandson." She cupped his face, "You should also know that I never intended to be married to Frederick," She leaned forward. "and that I always intended for it to have been you." She whispered, before capturing his lips.

Bailey responded to her kiss and his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her further into him. Elizabeth's hands traveled down his bare chest, and her fingers were left burning with the sensation of his skin against her palm.

Her hands continued to travel until she felt her fingers make contact with his broken skin and he winced in pain. Pulling away abruptly, she stared at her now blood stained fingers.

"I'm so sorry, Bailey!" Tears filled her eyes as she stared at the result of the torture he was forced to endure for her sake.

Bailey took her blood stained hand and pressed it against the sheets, wiping it clean. Lifting it up, he pressed his lips to it and Elizabeth's eyelids automatically pulled shut as she savored the feel of his lips against her skin. His lips continued to travel the length of her arm, leaving a trail of heat on her skin until he captured her lips once more and she melted into his arms.

When Bailey pulled away, ending the kiss abruptly, Elizabeth's eyelids fluttered open and she found his eyes fixed on something behind her. Turning, she came face to face with Gary who stood watching them with a frown on his face.

Bailey scrambled to his feet but Elizabeth maintained her position on the bed, too terrified to rise to her feet.

What would Gary think of her now?! Her mind screamed as she contemplated the implications of her actions. Her gaze fell to the floor, too ashamed to look into her father-in-law's eyes.

"My Lord," Bailey's voice trembled.

"I will have a word with Lady Elizabeth." Gary answered simply before turning to walk away.

Elizabeth felt dread settle in her stomach as she rose to her feet and began trailing the judge behind.

Gary pushed the door open, and stepped into the hall. His room was not far from Bailey's and once they were inside, Gary settled on a settee and Elizabeth remained standing. The old man's gaze remained fixed on her what what seemed like a decade, heightening the intensity of her fears.

"I..." Elizabeth began, deciding it was best if she apologized to Gary for disrespecting his grandson and his home. "I apologize, Lord Wellington."

"Shall I suppose that you have taken to sharing a bed with the butler, Lady Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth's gaze fell to the ground as she clasped her ice cold hands before her. "I have done no such thing, My Lord."

She heard Gary sigh. "I cannot grant you a divorce, Lady Elizabeth."

Elizabeth's eyes snapped up as she glared at him with widened eyelids.

"What?!" She half screeched, shaking her head. "You will keep me tied in a loveless marriage?" Heat traveled up Elizabeth's face until she was certain her face was blazing red. Everything in her wanted to take the lamp that sat on the table beside Gary and smash it on his face.

"Elizabeth..."

"No!" She yelled. "I have done nothing wrong! I have been nothing but faithful to an adulterous husband and you would choose to mete out your punishment on me?!" Angry tears filled her eyes as the thought of being tied to Frederick forever, weakened her.

Gary rose to his feet and began pacing. "You are in love with Bailey."

Elizabeth didn't think his statement to be a question so she refrained from answering.

"I cannot grant you a divorce knowing of this fact." He turned to her. "Knowing that you are in love with the butler and a divorce will set you free to pursue your relationship with him."

Elizabeth wanted to scream at the top of her voice but bit back on her lower lips instead. Why did it matter whether or not she was in love with Bailey?! How would her love for him change anything?!

"I know Frederick, Lady Elizabeth, I know what he is capable of."

A frustrated laugh escaped her lips. "Frederick cares nothing for me! He has found solace in the bed of Caitlin."

"It is not you I fear for, Elizabeth." Gary stopped pacing and turned fully to her. "It is Bailey. I fear that the boy might be my grandson."

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

What do you think of Gary's decision to stop the divorce? Smart or nah?

What do you think will happen next?!!

Small reminder to vote.